Chapter 28

Edward led Sky down into the heart of the Cormorants stronghold where it was warmer. He held open the door to a large open room that was filled with tables and seats, as well as what looked like medicine cabinets that lined one of the walls. Injured rebels shuffled about the dimly lit room. There was a large fire in the back of the room that held a huge pot of boiling water. The dark wooden tables were being used as beds and were filling up quickly now that the battle was over.

Edward gently steered her over to one of the empty tables and sat her down in the chair. Sky wanted go snap at him that she could do it herself but all her energy had left her and she felt empty.

"Wait here. I'll get you some cloth to bind your hand." He put his hand on her shoulder. Sky promptly ignored him and he sighed, walking way to find the things he needed.

Sky scanned over the room with dark eyes. It was thanks to her that all these people were alive and she knew she should feel something, but she didn't. In fact she was so filled with anger that she wondered what they would have done if she had refused to warn them.

Every single person here would be dead. A small boy ran past her with a bucket of hot water over to a man who had been cut open. Bates was standing in front of him so Sky couldn't see the inside of his stomach. She watched the doctor stitch up the man's skin as if it was a cotton shirt. He was being held down by two women and the boy was washing his face with the hot water.  Sky was reminded of what she had seen on Harpers Isle and still she felt emotionless.

"I hope Hawk's doctor knows what he's doing." Edward mumbled as he sat across from Sky. She looked at him. His dark hair was a mess and he had blood on his brow that had been smeared across his face.

He put down the things he had gathered on the table. There were two bundles of rags and a small bowl of steaming water that was cloudy. Next to that Edward placed down a small vile of something that looked yellow-brown and unpleasant.

"He does." Sky responded. Her voice was dull as she tried to hold herself together.

Edward cleared his throat and Sky looked at him. "Give me your hand." She placed it in the middle of the table with her palm facing down. "Did you fight with this?" She simply nodded. Edward's eye brows rose impressed.

His hands were rough with years of fighting, but remarkably gentle as he whipped away the old and fresh blood from her arm. She watched him as he opened the vile and dripped some of the strange liquid into her wound. Sky hissed; it felt like fire was licking her wound clean.

"Sorry, should have warned you." Edward said as a small blush crept onto his face.

"I'm fine." Sky said through clenched teeth.

The burn lessened as Edward began winding the cloth around her hand and arm. He was careful with her hand and was moving at a slow pace. Sky was tempted to tell him he could go and she would do it herself.

"You know, in all the years I've known Hawk I've never seen him so flustered." Sky's eyes narrowed.

"How do you know him?" It seemed to her that everyone knew this retched pirate.

"He worked for us," Edward  frowned remembering. "For almost a year, I think. Mathew hated him; in fact most of us hate him. Myself included." He smiled at her. Sky didn't return the favour.

"I can't imagine why." She said with venom and watched as Edward redid one of the coils around her hand.

"He did his job. And as much as I hate to admit it, he did it better than any of us could." Sky frowned not really wanting to hear how great Dustin was. "Most of the information we have in our archives he got for us. Snatched it right from under the Kings nose."