Chapter 33 - The Alley

Hi, sorry it's been a while. Just have to say that yes I did steal the switch blades from Assassins Creed and that is a picture of them. (I did not invent them and all rights to Ubisoft) Not sure if I have to say that, but just incase. :)
Anyway! Let me know what you think about the story so far and hope you enjoy this chapter. Onwards me'hearties!!

Sky woke late in the morning and lay in bed staring up at the slanted roof above her. Yesterday Edward had gone over, in great detail, what would be happening once they were inside and Sky couldn't help but realise that this was her first ever ball. It was unfortunate that she would be dressed in dirty clothes made for men and not a beautiful ball gown.

She hadn't seen Dustin since their duel and was beginning to wonder if she'd see him again. So much for talking about James. Sky threw off her blanket and stood. She stretched out her tense muscles and sore neck. The training yesterday had made her body tight.

The floor was cold against her feet and Sky quickly slipped on her boots. She discarded her used shirt for a cleaner one Edward had placed at the end of the bed. Clothed and feeling more awake Sky went to the mirror and patted her messy brown hair away from her face.

Edward was not at the table when she walked out of her room. The house was cold and lifeless. Sky shivered and moved towards the door closing it behind her. She looked up at the blue, cloudless morning and smiled. The sun was high in the sky and she realised that it was close to eleven o'clock.

Enjoying the warmth, Sky walked slowly along the boardwalk that led to the main building. Inside it was busy as people spoke to others about the ball and what the King was planning. Sky hurried past them, their chatter making her anxious. It hit her suddenly that she would be seeing King Patrick himself.

Her father's face came to her mind, and she thought of the man he had described with devotion and loyalty. Ever since she was a child she had believed in her king and had been jealous that her father was so close with the most powerful man alive. She remembered her brothers excitement to meet the king and had even felt it for herself when she saw it in his eyes.

Now was different. She tried to imagine the king as she had when she was a child; a great strong man, with a kind smile and wise eyes. But all she saw was blood. Blood that seeped into the sand staining it red. And the terrified faces belonging to the men, women and children of Harpers Isle. She saw the kings men, clothed in his colours, crawling over the roof tops of the Cormorants stronghold to slaughter those below.

And she saw a boy around her age, with short light hair and strong shoulders. He was on a ship, in front of the main mast and was hunched over, his back bare and his muscles rippling. Slowly, Sky watched as searing red lines sliced through his back tearing the flesh open. It was like whatever was inflicting the cuts was invisible. More and more appeared, until his shaking frame was laced with slashes and blood. Sky counted them. Twenty.

"I was just coming to wake you." Sky's vision shattered and she blinked up at Edward.

"What?" He gave her an odd look. Sky shook her head, desperately trying to dislodge the image of the boy.

"I was coming to get you. I was afraid you'd still be asleep." Edward was watching her with concerned eyes. They stood in one of the main halls leading to the meeting room where Sky had been heading.

"I'm sorry. Why didn't you wake me up before?" She hoped she hadn't been needed for something in the morning.

"We just had to finalise some things and I figured you could use the rest." Sky nodded. "Well, now that you're here Dana wants to have a word with you then we can go to Sav and get ready for tonight."