Chapter 17 - Hawk

Hi! Thanks for getting this far!! I really hope you are enjoying it so far. Some back story in this chapter so yay...? Tell me what you think in the comments. (please?) Yep. So here you go!! Away me hearties!...

LittleSparrow

All eyes turned to Sky in shock at what had just happened. Thomas shook his head and looked at the stairs leading down. Sky's heart was still beating fast. And the night air settled around them all suddenly like a thick blanket of coolness.

"Never," Thomas whispered almost sadly, "Never have I seen 'im that angry."

Sky frowned, unsure of what to say and how to feel about the whole situation. She was still furious and felt like storming down the steps after Dustin and telling him that she hoped he was hung as soon as they got to Karniva. But she didn't. Thomas turned his eyes to her and gazed at her with a mixture of anger and pity.

"You should not say things concerning topics you don't understand." Thomas told her his voice sounding hollow.

"I will not apologise for what I said to that man." Sky snapped back and spun on her heels and descended down the steps onto the main deck.

The pirates watched her as she moved past them to the bow of the ship. The wind blowed her dark hair over her shoulders and out of her face. It was cold and filled with sea spray. Sky took a deep breath as she felt unwanted tears of frustration rise in her.

The front of the ship came together into a point and at the front was a figurehead that Sky hadn't noticed before. Pulling herself up and over the railing of the side she jumped down onto the narrow platform under the bowsprit. The figurehead was not a woman like Sky had expected The Belladonna to have, but rather a magnificent bird. It was calved in beautiful detail; even the feathers of its wings defined. Its rounded head was held up proudly and it had a small beak that curved down into a sharp point. Sky stroked its dark wooden claws and tilted her head thinking.

It was a hawk. Sky wondered why a ship like this would have a bird as its figurehead and if it meant anything to the captain. She sighed.

Maybe I screwed up. Badly. Sky hugged her hands around herself and sat down on the thin ledge letting her feet dangle over the edge. It was still a long way to the mainland and she didn't think she could endure another day on this ship. Sky looked down at the dark water below her and wondered if it was worth it; throwing herself overboard. She knew none of the pirates would care after how she spoke to their captain and not only would it free her form this bloody hell, but it would be a far better death then having her throat sliced open by Dustin.

Sky shuddered at the thought of his gold eyes being the last thing she ever sees, though not due to fear or disgust. She couldn't bring herself to imagine what his eyes would look like as he cut her down. The water lapped at the ships front and some droplets landed on Sky.

"Don't do it Lass." Sky looked up and saw Thomas leaning over the railing and small smiled playing on his lips. "It's too cold tonight and I really don't wanna have to fish you out."

Sky watched as he lifted one leg over the side and joined her on the ledge. There was barely enough room for Sky let alone a big man like Thomas, yet somehow he managed to seat himself next to her.