Chapter 60 - Across the Plank

The Belladonna approached them in an almost caring manner, like an old friend coming to the aid of the wounded ship. Her dark blue flag flapped gently in the small breeze distorting the image of the flower. The Hawk at the front proudly leading the way.

"Stand down!" Dana must have seen Sky's expression soften. She stood taller at the Wheel, she had been watching Sky memorising her orders. Sky had been impressed, the cormorants may not have their sea legs yet, but they were very good at orders. "It seemed we have found our destination."

The crew began to cheer with joy and relief as the crowded around her on the main deck. For Sky however the realisation brought back some important questions. How would she handle this? How would he?

"You were incredible Sky, giving orders like that." Edward rounded Sky with a grin before he saw her face and turned sombre. "You know... I would not want to be in that man's boots right now. May you have mercy on his soul."

Sky wanted to laugh, but his words hit a little too close. When she had first woken alone she would have wanted nothing more than to stride towards him and punch him with all her might in his stomach. Or stomp as hard as she was capable on his toe. Maybe even kick him in a place she knew it would hurt. Then she would have spun turning away from him and walked back to Dana, choosing to ignore him. But that didn't feel right to her anymore.

The Belladonna began to turn gracefully. Her starboard side coming to a gentle gliding stop beside Sally's hull. That was when Sky saw him. She made her decision.

The Captain was at the wheel. It was like seeing him again for the first time. He stood so tall, commanding over his ship. He wore his coat over a light shirt and both of his blades sat on either side of his hips. His stance was an interesting mixture of pride and excitement. Sky could see it in the way he held himself that he was pleased to see them, even in their crippled state. Feelings of safety flooded through her, Dustin was here, they would be alright. A huge smile broke out across her face. His hat sat atop his head the enormous feather almost looked like it was waving directly at her in the wind.

The two ships came together and Sky saw Dustin's crew ready the plank to board Sally. She laughed to herself when Thomas began waving at the rebels from the poop deck a dopy smile on his face. Dustin looked at him, his hat turning to face his first-mate, before Sky saw him say something. Thomas's grin widened and his waving became more vigorous causing his captain to bang his head against the wheel.

Dana moved from the cormorant ship's wheel as the pirates slid the plank across to cover the distance of water between them. Sky moved herself slightly backwards letting the eager rebels disguise her. Edward gave her an odd look, but remained at her side.

Dustin floated down the stairs as Dana crossed the gap and stepped on to his ship. Sky could see the light in his golden eyes. He removed his hat and bowed low in front of her, his smirk painfully obvious.

"Finally decided to grace us with your presence Dana?" The sound of his voice made Sky briefly shut her eyes and dwell in the warmth of it. When he rose he was met with an angry looking Dana. She had her hands on her hips but it was clear to everyone the two were happy to be reunited.

Dustin glanced back and Sky sucked in her breath as his eyes passed by her towards the foremast. A single perfect brow rose on his handsome face. "Ran into some trouble I see."

"You have no idea, Hawk." Edward pipped up from beside Sky drawing all attention their way. Sky's head snapped to him in betrayal. His pleased grin making her grumble. Ed you jerk.