Chapter 43

It had been almost an hour since Sky had disappeared from the main deck and the stars were slowly begging to blink out as it approached dawn that was still a few hours away. The sound of the water told her that it was calm and the wind was gentle.

Her head popped up and Sky could feel the wind on her face. She emerged from the lower deck and faced the bow of the ship where three men were sitting. She was please to recognise all of them though she could not name them.

Before we all die, I am learning the name of everyone on this ship. Sky told herself fiercely. She could identify all of Dustin's crew but had only a handful of names to go with them and she wanted to change that. But that was a task for later.

Sky turned to face the poop deck and saw the captain standing proudly at his wheel as if everyone could see him and not only four people. His silhouette against the dark sky made him look like a powerful and feared pirate, not the kind-hearted man who had told her he loved her, which Sky knew him to be.

She walked over to the poop deck, her feet quiet on the wood of the deck. High above her the Belladonna's flag flapped in the breeze. She kept her eyes on him as she walked and stopped when his hat shifted and he looked down at her standing before the staircase leading up to him.

His eyes were bright and the gold in them glowing like a cats. Sky paused and laid her hands on the smooth rail of the stairs, her head tilted up to him. She could see he was trying to keep his face blank of emotion but the crease between his eyebrows told her of his concern.

Sky grinned up at him letting him know that she was not angry. She was never mad at him. Just angry that at the whole situation. She still had no plan on how to make him see that she was not going to stay and twiddle her thumbs while he fought in a war. A war she only just found out that had everything to do with her.

Dustin tilted his head to one side making his feather flop over which caused Sky to grin further. A small, slightly confused, smile graced his face as Sky ascended the steps. They kept their eyes on each other until Sky stood at the top of the stairs six feet away facing him. Dustin opened his mouth but Sky lifted her hand up in front of her silencing him.

"Shut up," She said with a trace of laughter in her voice, "And let me tell you something." Dustin's mouth snapped closed and he gave her his full attention, turning away from the wheel. He didn't seem surprised by her commanding voice and Sky smiled remembering his rule to never tell him what to do on his own ship. It seemed they were equals now and Sky was determined to prove that meant she had every right to go with him. 

"Do you know who I am?" Sky asked holding her chin up.

One of Dustin's brows lifted slightly and his eyes grew ever so brighter. Sky did not give him a chance to answer as she fired her next question at him.

"Do you know who my father was?" This time Dustin's brows twitched down and he nodded slowly. "And you know who my brother is?" Again he nodded looking more distressed by her questions and strong tone.

Sky took a step towards him. "I did not know my mother; she died not long after I was born. But I have no doubt in my mind that she was same. For my father wouldn't have married her otherwise. Do you understand?" The confusion in Dustin's eye grew and Sky smiled. "Both my father and brother fought for what they believed in. Both are considered the best men to ever sail." She gave him a real smile that lit up her face. "With the the exception of one person, of cause." Dustin's eyes sparked like a crack in a fire sending dark sparks of gold across his irises. "But still skilled with a blade beyond measure and more intelligent than most others will boast. Can you deny that?"

Dustin blinked as if not understanding her question, but shook his head. Once again he opened his mouth, but Sky refused to let him speak until she had made her point.