Chapter 69

Yo Ho, Yo Ho A Pirates Life For Me!

This, my friends, is were I leave you. The final chapter of The Belladonna. I would just like to thank you so very much for finishing this book. I hope the story took you on an adventure  and you enjoyed your time reading it. I am truly going to miss Sky and Dust, however, we have one more thing to do don't we? ;) If a book as a prologue it had better end with an epilogue. Well, I could go on, but I won't.

Instead I will leave you with the rhyme Christopher Davion told his little Skyler on their small fishing boat;

"The Evening Star will take you far,

Follow it to the Mainland,

Do not stray from its ray,

Or your ship will rest amongst sand."

They all gazed at each other from across the meeting room's circular table, no one spoke. That morning Sky had woken in a large plush armchair, the green material velvety beneath her fingers. Dustin was next to her, his arms around her frame and his head resting on hers. They had been woken by a welcomed face.

Rogue had come to collect them and had looked somewhat awkward when he'd seen the sleeping together on the chair. The awkwardness disappeared as soon a Sky realised he was safe. She had crossed the sitting room space in a second and hugged the man. As they walked towards the meeting room Rogue had told them that nearly all the townspeople had make it to the resource boats and most of their fatalities had come from cannon fire. Dustin had expressed his pride for the man's efforts and Rogue and given his captain an odd look and requested to never be made commander again. Though he had done the best he could, Sky had seen the all the death had weighed heavily on his shoulders.

At the current moment, Rogue was across the room from Sky and Dustin. To his side were three representatives of Harpers Isle. Commander Scott was next to them. He looked very tired, all of the weight of the Admirals men were on his shoulders and Sky could see the older man's death was hard for him. Sav was representing the Cormorants for Dana. The woman's sacrifice still made Sky feel like a blazing knife was streaked across her skin. She pushed the feeling it down. There were other matters that needed her attention.

James sat alone; the chairs next to him empty at the otherwise crowed table. His interwoven hands were resting on the surface of the table in front of him and despite being at the centre of the mens dark glares, he held his back straight and his face was open. His eyes however, still held shame but Sky knew she was the only one able to see it. Dustin might have seen it too if he ever looked up. Nichola was staring across the stone table at Sky's brother with unreadable eyes, his mouth turned down. Two of his men stood behind his chair with hard faces. The Governor had had a sleepless night organising his people to take care of the wounded. Dustin had persuaded him that all of the lives required medical attention and that they couldn't let the officers just die a painful death in the night. However, Nichola was no as compassionate towards the King's men as the pirate and while he may have helped the wounded men it was clear to everyone in the room that James was not welcomed.

Dustin was at Sky's side, but she could tell he would try not to get involved in the conversations unless absolutely required. He almost appeared to loath the whole meeting, his chair was pushed back from the table and his arms, cover in scratches, were crossed at his chest. We didn't even look at the other men there. But Sky could see he was listening.

"So?" Nichola slowly moved his gaze from James and across the table. "What are we to discuss next?"

They had begun the meeting by paying tribute to their fallen comrades. It was not the most pleasant way to start the first day of their new Kingdom, but it was a necessary step. A reminder of the cost for their freedom.