Chapter 51

This is a long chapter. Apologies if that's not your thing, but I couldn't bring myself to cut it down. As a result this comes to exactly 4500 thousand words, not intentionally. This chapter could be done in three chunks (Short chunks) but I feel like it all just flows together too well to split it.

Would love to hear you opinions and as always, hope you enjoy.

Thanks,

LittleSparrow

It was a lovely night for a walk. The stars were out and glistening happily down on them, the moon's light was soft, only a sliver visible in the dark blue sky. The air was warm with only a small breeze shifting the leaves in the few trees that surrounded them and the only sound in the night was trickling water.

Dustin and Sky walked along the bank of the same stream Sky had used as a passage the last time they had come to Harpers Isle. How things had changed. It seemed the world didn't know that tomorrow everything would shift as they sailed to war.

Sky's shoes scrapped on rocks as she picked her way through the small bushes along the water's edge. Her arms were thrown out to either side to help balance her, not that she needed it; all her recent fighting had drastically improved her coordination. She was a little further along than Dustin who was taking his time. Despite his words of needing to talk he had been very quiet. It was Sky who suggested they come this way. Away from the town, she could almost forget what was to come.

It was a while before Sky noticed the sound of crunching behind her had stopped. She looked over her shoulder to see her Captain regarding her with a pained expression. His light brows furrowed down over conflicted eyes, his lips, normally so ready to twitch into a smirk, were turned down at one corner. However, as she turned and faced him his eyes creased as he smiled. His whole demeanour converted so quickly, Sky wondered if she'd even seen correctly.

"Having fun Sweetheart?" Dustin laughed as he walked up to her where she stood standing on a large rock. Sky frowned at him. His cheer seemed forced to her ears.

"Is it even possible to have fun during times like this?" She asked taking his hand and stepping off the rock. Dustin sat down and gestured for her to do the same.

"I wouldn't say that." Dustin turned to the cliffs and the water out beyond. "These last few months have been some of most important in my life." Sky said nothing, what could she say? She did not disagree, but it felt wrong somehow to be grateful for such suffering.

"I suppose we've had our moments, haven't we?" Sky smiled at him thinking of everything that had happened since she stepped on to the Navy Brig. Yes there were many memories that would haunt her for a long time. Seeing innocents slaughtered. Lucus. Sky took a deep breath. There were happy times too; sitting with Thomas under the Hawk on the Belladonna, learning to fight and defend herself, talking with Edward and the others in the dining hall. Yes, there were happy times.

"I still can't believe you infiltrated the ball just to dance with me." Her voice was light with affection remembering his pompously deep voice and jealously over Edward.

"Well," Dustin let go of her hand to lean back on the rock. "In truth, I wanted to hear the Kings plans in his own voice. I had to see his face when he spoke." Dustin's tone went cold and Sky's lip pulled back in annoyance, the King would not destroy her last peaceful moment with Dustin.

"Didn't trust me, huh?" Sky teased trying to bring the light mood back.

Dustin's eyes fell slightly as he looked at her. "It's not that Sky. You know that." He took a deep breath. "I would trust you with anything. Everything."