Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

DAMIEN'S POV

Sitting behind my desk, I have my head in my hands, taking deep breaths. It's been hours since the Marisha incident. What the fuck was I thinking? Now Marisha will never leave me alone. What the fuck have I done?

The knock on my door pulls me back to the present. Looking towards the door, I speak out, "yeah."

Maria pokes her head through the small opening. "Sorry to disturb you, sir. I have a Miss Williams here for the personal assistant position. Would you like me to send her in?"

I look up at her, "Yes please, Maria. And if you could join us, please. I need to make sure the two of you gel, as well as with me, so go get her and get someone else to bring the three of us coffees, please."

She nods at me and walks out the door, leaving it slightly ajar.

Within a minute, Maria is walking through with Leah, the last person I expected to see in my office.

I stand up to greet her, "Leah?" She's looking at me, stunned. She obviously didn't expect to see me here either.

Maria is just looking between the two of us, confused. "I'm sorry, sir. Do you two know each other?"

As hard as it is, I manage to take my eyes off of Leah and turn to Maria. "Um, we met this morning when she was working at the cafe across the street. Some jackass abused her for dropping his coffee. Cunt..."

"Damien!" Maria is quick to chastise me, "There is a lady in your presence. You do not say such things!" I lower my head. This woman is like my mother and has no problem scolding me when she thinks I need it.

"Sorry, Maria. But really, he was," I add quickly in my own defence. "You should have heard the horrible things he was saying about her... to her!"

Maria looks at me, "I want you to apologise to Miss Winters, right now!"

I look at Leah. I see her grinning at me and I know she's enjoying this.

"I apologise, Leah." I hear Maria clear her throat. "I mean, Miss Winters. Please, let's take a seat so we can get this interview started."

Taking in a deep breath before slowly blowing it out, I glance at Leah, really look at her, and realise she's absolutely stunning. I notice she's staring at me, and it's not just her. Maria is too.

Did they ask me something? Just play it cool, Damien.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" They both start to smile and giggle.

Maria is the one to speak. "Good lord, Mr. Caldwell! You are a disaster after you know who left.' Maria says as she shakes her head in disapproval before continuing, "How about I go chase up our coffees and you can get the interview started?"

She wants to leave me here alone with Leah? Fucking hell.

Leah watches as Maria walks out the door, closing it behind her. "Well, that wasn't very subtle, was it?" she laughs out.

"I love Maria, she's like a mother to me. But no, she's anything but subtle." I laugh back and look down at the floor, unaware that Leah hasn't taken her eyes away from me.

"So, Mr. Caldwell. Where would you like to start?" mischief swirling in her eyes.

Without thinking I instantly reply, "Dinner." I can tell that I've caught her by surprise with my request.

"Agh," she starts stumbling over her words. "Um, I don't think that is appropriate. Not if I'm going for a job as your personal assistant."

I drop my head. No woman has ever turned me down before. This is uncharted territory for me. "Fine, you have the job. How about a celebratory dinner? Maria can join us. You know, so we can all get to know each other. We will be working very closely. I have a few things coming up that will require the three of us to be working long hours together; potentially overnighters."

She starts nodding at me, not really understanding how much time we are going to be spending together.

"So, would you like the job?" I ask her as Maria walks back in with our coffees. I watch as she looks at Maria who nods her head.

"Really?" her shock is obvious before she continues, "that would be amazing, thank you."

I turn to Maria, "Can you please book a table for the three of us for tonight at my usual restaurant." She looks at me, "Um, Mr Caldwell. I won't be able to make it, but I can book the table for the two of you if you would like me to, sir?"

"Yes, please. Make it for seven-thirty?" I turn to Leah. "If that's suitable for you?" I question her, hoping she says yes.

Leah is looking at me, stunned. "Yes," she complies quietly, almost a whisper. "That's fine. Um, I only had a movie night planned with my housemate, but I can call and let him know I have to go out tonight."

Hearing her say her housemate was a 'he' pissed me off to no end. I can't let her see that though, she needs to think this will be purely business.

"Fantastic! So I'll get the driver to pick you up at seven and we will head to the restaurant." I say to her, directing Leah to stand. "Now, I have a lot of work to do before tonight, so if you will excuse me, I have to go. Maria will walk you through all the paperwork and take you down to HR for a staff pass to get into the building." I start walking her to the door.

Stopping just outside the door she turns to me. "I'll see you tonight, Damien... Ah, I mean, Mr Caldwell." I laugh at her shaking my head.

"I will see you tonight at seven, Oh and until the paperwork is signed, it's Damien." I smile at her. Shutting the door as she walks away, I lean my forehead on it. What the hell am I doing? Taking Leah on a not date... date. Fuck! Ok, this is going to be interesting, I think as I walk back to sit behind my desk, pulling out the pile of contracts I have to read through. This was the worst idea I've ever had.