Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Damiens POV

I just stood and watched. I watched as Leah burst into tears and ran out of here like she was scared. Like she was scared of me. I didn't understand what I said or did.

I started running through what happened, over and over again. Analysing every little detail. I walked in the door and I couldn't see Leah. I started calling out for her and that is when I heard the sobbing. I followed the sound to find Leah hiding under my desk with the seat pulled up tight to her body, hiding ninety percent of it. I climbed under there and sat with her, I let her tears soak my shirt. She looked up at me than whatever happened, happened.

I was pacing the floor in the middle of the room, the worry clearly showing. Should I go after her? Where would she go? What did I do?

I needed answers. I needed them now. I needed to find her to make sure she was ok.

I strode towards the door, yanking it open and running into Maria and almost bowling the poor woman over. My reflexes were fast and I managed to grab her by the top of her arms holding her steady. "Fuck! Sorry Maria." I let her go and started walking off on her. "Cancel everything for the rest of today, I have to go out." I can hear the light footsteps speeding up behind me as I stalked my way to the elevator door and slammed my hand on the button several times, the actions showing everyone in the office just how much I needed to get out of here. I needed to get outside, into the fresh air.

The doors to the elevator ding and opened up allowing me to slide through them before they had even finished opening and Maria managing to squeeze her skinny self through as well. She stood in front of me, her arms folded over her chest looking at me like I imagine a disappointed mother would look at her son.

"Damien." The tone of her voice told me how serious she was. "I know you want to find Leah." She paused and let her arms fall to her sides as she took a deep breath. "I know you want to make sure she is okay, but maybe... maybe you need to give her some space... just for a day or two, yeah?" The elevator stopped in the basement and I dropped my head as I walked out, "You don't understand, Maria. I have to find her. She was terrified... of me." I whispered the last part, the anger mixed with the sadness evident.

"Hey!" She yelled out as she chased after me. "Listen here. I know you like her, Damien, and I get it, I really do. But you can't just run out there looking for a woman that ran out of your office." Maria jumped in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. "Damien, I don't think you understand the gravity of what is happening right now." I can see her starting to get frustrated with me, something I have been doing more and more lately. "I don't understand what you mean, Maria." I was clearly confused. "She has feelings for you, Damien. It's obvious to everyone, including Mike, and that puts her in a difficult position. I have seen the change in her so surely Mike has too."

What Maria was trying to tell me finally clicked and the panic spread across my face. Maria reacted instantly, saying to me before I could do or say anything "I will call her, okay? I will call her and make sure she is okay." Her voice was back to being soft and kind just like the Maria I knew.

"Okay. But you have to do it now and put her on speaker. I want to hear her for myself."

I watched as she gently nodded her head and took her phone out of her pocket Unlocking it and scrolling through her contacts until she found Leah's number.

Tapping on Leah's name on the screen then the speaker, she held it out so I could see. It rung afew times before the sound of Leah's sweet voice filled the air around us.

"Hello, Maria? Is everything okay?" The concern in her voice was evident. I opened my mouth to talk and Maria threw her hand over my mouth. I looked down at her and saw her lips moving. I couldn't understand why she was mouthing 'Mike' when we were clearly talking to Leah. It was then that I heard the noise in the background. It sounded like someone was shuffling around close to the phone like they were trying to listen into the conversation. I knew instantly it was Mike, I mean who else in her life would be this much of a psycho? He had found her. He got her. He got her because of me.

I dropped my head in devastation. Maria Spoke, breaking me from my thoughts. "Yes, dear. Everything is okay. I just wanted to check in on you, Are you okay?" There was a short delay in Leah's answer like she had to think about what she wanted to say instead of just answering the question. "I am fine Maria." She paused long enough for Maria to ask one more question. "Leah? Why did you leave work?" The question left Leah silent for a minute. "I wasn't feeling well so I went to Mr Caldwell's bathroom for some privacy. When I was finished I came out and felt no better so I decided to get some fresh air. That's all. I just have been walking around the city trying to settle my stomach." Her voice was shaky and uneven and you could hear she was nervous about something... or someone.

Suddenly there was a loud noise coming through the phone's speaker and a scream, some yelling and then some crying before Leah's voice was back. "Sorry about that, I accidentally dropped my phone." I had my hands balled up into fists so much that my knuckles had turned white. I couldn't take it anymore and stormed off hearing Maria speaking to Leah as I walked away. I needed to get out of here, I needed to clear my head and there's only one place where I can do that....