Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Damian's POV

Knock knock...

Right on time.... The door opened slowly and a head popped into view. "Hi Mr Caldwell. How's our girl today?" She smiled kindly as she walked towards the side of the bed that had all the equipment. "Hey, Rach." I said as I looked up at her from the chair I have become acquainted with and returned her smile. "I think she's doing better, she has had moments where her eyes fluttered like they were going to open but couldn't quite get there." She nodded her head as she listened and did Leah's OBS.

"She is such a strong woman, Mr. Caldwell, you must be so proud of her." I looked at Leah and leant over, grabbing her hand in mine holding it tightly.

"I am." I swallowed hard, "I just wish she would open her eyes so I could tell her." Still holding her hand, I moved it up to my lips, kissing the back of it softly. As I moved our clasped hands back down and rested them on the bed, I stared at this beautiful woman and prayed I got to see those gorgeous eyes looking back into mine once again.

Resting my head on side of the bed and looking over at Leah, I barely even noticed that the nurse had left the room leaving the two of us alone in the silence again.

She looked so peaceful, even with all the bruises and open wounds you could see she knew she was safe and in turn, relaxed.

With the silence killing me I let go of Leah's hand and stood up, turning around and reaching out for the bluetooth speaker Maria had bought in. I connected my phone to it and opened up spotify scrolling through my playlist until i found the song i was looking for.

Pressing play I played with the volume until I got it sitting perfectly for background music. I sat down on the bed next to her and grabbed her hand and just looked at her as I listened to the words.

'I turn the world over in search of

The story that only you can complete

Even if I lose everything, you are all I need

All of the lights are out here

Hug me

If I close my eyes, it rushes in soundlessly

You pile up in full again in my heart

I don't need anybody but you

I'm not done until the day you come back to my side.'

I need you to come back to me Leah.

I gently moved my free hand to her forehead, sweeping some of her hair aside and behind her ear.

"Leah, I don't know if you can hear me, but I need you to fight, I need you to come back...." I sighed then spoke the words I had been scared to say to her. "To me, I need you to come back to me. I love you, Leah."

Leahs POV

I Heard the music start and I listened to see what it was. After a few seconds I recognised the tune. Oh! Way back home? I love this song!

As I hummed along to it in my head I could hear Damian start to speak. "Leah, I don't know if you can hear me, but I need you to fight, I need you to come back...." There was a short pause between his words and finished off with a sigh before he kept speaking. "To me, I need you to come back to me. I love you, Leah."

I felt someone touch my forehead. It felt soft and warm as it glided across my skin and leaving goosebumps in its wake.

I felt the warmth of the touch as it flowed through my body, making me feel like it was finally waking up.

My eyes fluttered open and closed, I faught so hard to open them and eventually won. My vision was blurry but quickly righted itself. I was laying in the bed staring up only to see Damians gentle and loving eyes staring back at me. A smile spread across his face as he realised what was happening.

"Hi." One word, all the things I wanted to say to him and I say hi, I shut my eyes and squeezed them tight with embarrassment. My voice was gravelly and dry and It was painful to talk so I decided to just leave it at hi.

"Leah?" My name falling out of his mouth like that made me feel like I was special, like I was the only person alive. I opened my eyes slightly, just enough to see his handsome face looking down at me seriously. I could tell he had something he wanted to say but he just sat silently, staring down at me. There was pain in his eyes and I knew what was on his mind.

I reached over, placing my palm on his cheek and feeling his baby smooth face. "I know." I mumbled as loud as I could muster as I gave him a weak smile. The pain he felt was for the girl he knew before. After everything he did to save me, how could I tell him that she was gone forever?