Chapter 32

Chapter 32
Damian's pov

My nerves showed as I paced the floor of the safehouse. I wondered if Paul had done enough surveillance on Mike, is a month long enough to know someone's daily movements?
Paul had seen Leah on several occasions over the month, and noticed how unwell she looked as well as providing photos for me to be able to see for myself. Big mistake. All that did was piss me off. I wanted to kill that cunt. No-one should treat a woman like that.
And this is why I am here, pacing the floor of the safehouse. I wasn't allowed to go get Leah.
I was being held hostage by Maria, who in all honesty probably scared me more than any person I had ever dealt with. I had been in meetings with the heads of mafias, gangs and hitmen, but Maria? She terrified me. I heard a noise outside the window, making me stop pacing and look in the direction the sound came from.
I noticed headlights heading towards the house. It has to be them. It has to be Leah.
I was frozen. My body couldn't move. I willed it to head towards the door but it stood still. I was so scared that something had happened to Leah that I couldn't bring myself to run out the door and find out.
The handle on the old beaten door jiggled. I heard Markus tell out, "Damian! Let us in, quick!" His voice was urgent with a hint of pleading. Before I could even think about his words Maria had jumped up, running over to the door and flinging it open. I watched her as her hands flew towards her face and covered her mouth. This is it, this is the moment of truth.
I squeezed my eyes shut, too scared to see if Leah was with them, then I heard it… I heard my name in that sweet tone that I instantly knew belonged to Leah.
My eyes flew open and my legs started to move, I headed towards the front door. I was going to run but the door was only a few strides away from me. Stopping behind Maria my eyes welled up. I stood and stared at Leah, not moving a muscle, just soaking in her appearance. She was beaten, bloody, bruised and skinny.
My anger started to rise the more I looked at her. The more evidence of abuse I saw the more I started to clench my jaw, anger flowing out of my veins and thickening the air around us making everyone uncomfortable.
I grabbed Leah carefully out of Markus' arms and held her close, allowing her to wrap her arms weakly around my neck as I walked us over to a couch. As I laid her down I made sure she was protected by a wall of cushions and comfortable. I knelt there for a minute just watching her chest rise and fall, looking her over closer I noticed her wince with each breath she took.
Seeing her in pain, pain that was caused by Mike made my anger spike. I stood fast and stormed towards Markus and Paul.
“Where is he?” I said grabbing Markus’ shirt and bundling it into my fist, pulling him closer to me.
Markus ripped his shirt from my hand and stepped back, “He… He,” He paused and looked away, “he got away, man. I’m sorry.” He stood still but tall, not able to look me in the eye but still showing strength, although I could feel his nervous energy flowing from his body as I watched his hands ball into fists as if he was ready to fight me.
It made me soften, This was my best friend. He wasn’t the one I wanted to take out.
I pulled him into me embracing him. “Thank you.” I said loud enough for only him to hear, “Thank you for getting her back to me.” I felt his body relax as I said the words, like he had been expecting me to be speaking something completely different and I didn’t blame him for that.
Markus wrapped his arms around me, clapping me on the back as he said the words I needed to hear, “Always man, I got your back. We will get your girl fixed up and once she doesn’t need us focusing on her then we will find that fucking cunt and put him in the ground.” I stepped back from him so I could look him directly in the eyes. “I promise you, I will fucking kill him for what he has done to her. He’s fucking DEAD!”
Maria’s voice floated into the conversation. “Damian, we really need to get her to a hospital. She needs a doctor, right now.” I looked over at her and nodded, “alright, lets get her into my car.” Facing Markus and Paul, “You guys did good, go clean up. Paul, ring me when you are ready and we will sort out your payment.” Paul nodded, “Got it boss, now get your girl to a hospital.”
I slapped his shoulder before I turned and walked back over to the couch Leah laid on. I bent down, kissing her on the forehead gently before wrapping my arms around her and lifting her up. Maria held the front door open waiting for us to walk through it before she ran off to the car opening the backdoor and shutting it behind us. I watched her as she ran around the front of the SUV and jumped into the drivers seat and turned the key, starting the car and taking off towards the hospital.
I looked into my lap, watching Leah’s swollen and bruised face twitch and I couldn’t help it but to lift her hand up to my lips and kiss it softly, whispering into it, “You are safe now, Leah. You are safe with me, I won’t let anyone near you again.” I don’t know if it was coincidence or if she actually heard me but at that moment it felt like her body relaxed so much it melted around my legs and the feeling made me smile, just a tiny bit.