Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Damian's POV

I listened as Mark waffled on about figures, budgets, and schedules. Why we should buy this company and why we should sell this other one. Mark is well respected in this company, he worked here for years, ever since my father started it really and he worked his way up the chain. He knew his stuff and generally, I listened hard when he spoke, but today I was bored shitless and I couldn't keep my mind off Leah. I wondered where she was, if she was okay, and if my new 'friend' had any news for me.

I snapped to attention when I heard my name being said. I blinked as I looked around the room, noticing everyone's eyes were on me. Fuck! What did I miss?

"Ummmm," I moaned. My embarrassment was obvious. I had never been like this before and my lack of focus caught everyone off guard.

"Behind you, Sir." Maria whispered in my ear.

I swung my chair around to see Marisha. My eyes almost rolled out of my head as I turned back to the board and apologised.

"My apologies everyone, Please just give me a second to sort this out. I will be right back." I said, pushing my chair out with my feet, from under the huge meeting desk and walking my way up to Marisha. I grabbed her by the bicep and dragged her out of the boardroom.

"What the fuck are you doing here again, Marisha?" I said as I closed the door behind us. She swung her arm around forcing me to lose my grip on her arm and she stomped her foot like a child.

"I needed to talk to you, Damian, and you haven't answered any of my calls or messages." she turned away from me, the pause making the situation seem more dramatic than it was... God, she loves the drama.

"Fine. I will meet you after work at the place across the road. Now, fuck off." I was so over her shit. Marisha squealed and bounced on the spot, clapping her hands in excitement. "Oh yay, Damian!" She said with a wink and a smile that I assume was meant to be seductive before she turned and walked down the hall towards the elevator, "See you later, lover." Her high-pitched voice bounced off each cubicle making it even more annoying.

I shook my head and dropped it. I looked at my feet and walked back into the board room hoping the disruption didn't fuck this deal.

All eyes looked at me as I closed the door behind me. I looked around the room and one by one I saw the mixture of confusion, anger, and pity in their eyes. Not wanting the attention on me anymore I pulled my seat out from the table, sat down and spoke, "Did I miss anything important?" I straightened the papers that sat in front of me hoping that everyone in the room gets the hint and gets back to the job at hand.

Mark stared at me, the look on his face was like he was asking if I was okay. Oh, my friend, I am so fucking far from okay.

"We were just wrapping up, Sir," Maria spoke from next to me placing a hand on one of mine forcing it to stop fidgeting. "I left some other paperwork that I need you to look over on your desk, it needs to be done asap. After that, I can come in and fill you in on what you missed before." I gave her a weak smile as a thank you and tapped her hand, letting her know I appreciate her. I grunted as I stood from the seat, sounding like an old man as I did. I shook everyone's hands before I left the room.

I walked through the office smiling at the staff as I passed them wondering if they had these kinds of problems or if it was just me.

I grabbed the handle on the timber door that led to my office and turned it, letting the door slide along the floor as it opened. The squeaking sounds the hinges made seemed louder than normal and made my brain hurt. I winced at the sound and put my fingers on my temple in hopes that a little pressure would help with the pain but all it did was make it hurt even more.

I slammed my ass onto the couch that sat along the glass wall and dropped my head. Fucking stress, does it ever stop? The thought ran through my mind and left again before I could even register that I had a thought at all.

I sat in that office for the rest of the day, not noticing the day was passing me by at speed and before I knew it, it was time to leave. Excited at the idea of being able to collapse onto my bed and sleep I jumped up and straightened my red button-up shirt, the one that Leah very obviously favoured. The memory flashed through my mind. I was leaning with my ass against the conference room table, rolling the sleeves of the red button-up shirt up my arm when I glanced her way, her eyes were wide and she was biting her bottom lip, watching each movement I made. A crooked grin appeared on my face as I scoffed at the memory.

She always would watch me, she had no idea I was watching her too. If I had my time again I would have made sure to tell her how I felt, instead I was a stubborn ass who refused to admit he had feelings for this woman. I shook my head forcing myself back into reality and that was when I remembered, I have to meet Marisha. Fuck!! I didn't have the energy for any of her bullshit tonight but I told her I would meet her... this one last time.