Chapter 34

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

Leah's POV

The three weeks since being released from the hospital had been a whirlwind. Not having any place to call home but still needing care, Maria offered to take me in, caring for me like the mother I had always prayed for. She had been a godsend when I needed one the most and I was forever grateful to her for that.

Damian hadn't come around much to visit me, but he called every day, sometimes multiple times just to check in on me. He was weird with me now, like the reality of what I went through and how damaged I am had finally sunk in.

He couldn't look at me. I disgusted him now and that upset me. I had obviously had too many good things going on and needed to have some bad to bring me down to earth. I should have known, I can't have any good and when I do I get punished.

I looked down at the blanket Maria had draped over my legs earlier as I moved it between my fingers, letting the soft Woollen textures relieve some of my anxieties.

I sighed as I allowed my head to drop putting my neck in an awkward and uncomfortable position but somehow still relaxing.

Breathe in.... And out.... As I sat relaxed in my chair, focusing on my breathing I heard a noise outside and jumped, my slowed down heart rate now racing again.

I instantly fell to the floor and crawled towards the front door making sure it was locked. I peeped around the corner from the loungeroom noticing the door handle moving. Someone was trying to get in.

I refused to let Mike take me again so I stood and hid in the corner of the room between two bookcases with a heavy book in my hands, ready to use as a weapon.

The door squeaked as it opened and the sound of footsteps followed. I listened as the echo of steps came closer until they were almost on top of me.

I stepped out from my hiding spot, swinging my weapon at the intruder, I heard a thud as the book hit its target.

"Ow!" The deep voice mumbled as the book was ripped from my hands. "Jesus, Leah." I looked up and saw Damian rubbing one of his pecs.

I gasped and my mouth fell open as I threw my hands over it before spouting out a million apologies.

"Oh my god, Damian, I'm so sorry. I thought you were someone trying to break in."

Damian placed one of his hands over mine, pulling them away from my mouth, feeling how much they shook, his face showing me clearly how much that worried him.

"I'm sorry, Leah. I should have announced myself. I didn't mean to frighten you, I wasn't thinking."

I lifted my head so I could look at his eyes, but instead I noticed the bags under his eyes.

"You look tired. Have you been sleeping?" My soft voice seemed loud in the quiet that surrounded us.

He gave me a small grin, "I've been busy, lot's of things to do as the CEO." He said, raising his hand and placing it under my chin and gently holding it in place. His gesture was sweet and his touch warmed my heart, it distracted me but not enough to miss the sad look he held in his eyes.

"What's happened Damian?" I sighed as I let Damians hand hold the weight of my head.

"Nothing you need to worry about, Leah."

I didn't believe him still but I knew if he didn't want to tell me there was no way I would be able to get him to say it out loud.

All I was able to do was nod, acknowledging his words, but the look on my face would have told him how I felt.

"Seriously, Leah. It's nothing. You don't have to worry about me." He said letting my face go and wrapping his arms around me.

Instantly I felt at home, his muscular chest radiating the warmth and safety I hadn't realised I desperately needed.

I pulled myself into him tighter and exhaled, feeling all the anxiety and fear that had been running through my veins for weeks, just melt away.

After standing there in our embrace I felt Damian start to pull away. I held him trying to stop him from leaving. "Leah, it's okay, I'm not going anywhere."

Placing his fingers under my chin and lifting my head made me look up at him once again.

His beautiful green eyes flicked between mine as he bent his neck. I closed my eyes, waiting for his lips to finally touch mine again only to be surprised when I felt them on my forehead.

I pulled back, looking up at him once more. "I'm, I'm sorry...." I stuttered, slightly embarrassed at my presumption. "I thought you were going to kiss me." I said, looking at my feet as my cheeks turned bright red.

Damian grabbed my chin and forced my eyes to focus on his, "As much as I would love to take you here against this wall, Leah, I will wait until you are ready for me." The words fell from his mouth like he was making a promise, keeping me safe and seducing me all at once and I was one hundred percent here for it. He was the only one who could make me forget about what I had been through. He made it so I could be free from what Mike had done to me, even just for a little while and it was bliss.

"What if I said I wanted you to do exactly that, Mr Caldwell?" I watched his tongue run over his lips slowly and I knew he was holding himself back from doing exactly what he said he wanted to.

He growled at me, although it sounded more like a tiger than anything else. The sound turned me on and the feeling in my panties let me know just how much.