Chapter 3

"I'm home!" Kali announced as she shook the snow from her boots.

She looked up at the lack of response only to see the terrified faces of her family.

"Well, this is a pretty sight. Mind telling me what's got you all looking like a Naga tried to get to second base?" She said trying to lighten the atmosphere.

"We think Feyre may have killed a fae... and then skinned the fur from its corpse" Mr. Archeron announced.

Kali's heart dropped to her stomach. "Oh, sweet Caldron." She took a breath to calm herself.

The night suddenly became her greatest ally as she felt the darkness surrounding the house searching for any threats.

She felt it... A powerful fae, most likely a high lord barreling in the direction of the house at top speed. "Shit." She whispered to herself low enough so the humans couldn't hear.

"Okay, listen to me very carefully. All of you go into the bedroom and stay silent. There is another fae coming in this direction. No matter what do not come out until I tell you to, do you understand me?" The terror in their eyes was clear as they nodded to their sister's request, moving quickly to do as their told.

"Caldron, give me strength," Kali muttered to herself as she put on the strongest glamor she could. She lighted her hair to look like the rest of the Archeron sisters, her eyes turning a rich brown like elain's. Her sharp fae ears dulled to look human as she added a few imperfections to her face to look more mortal.

She placed another glamour on her family, so unless they brought attention to themselves the High Fae wouldn't know they were there.

It took a few minutes, but eventually, the door exploded in a flurry of splinters. She fought every battle instinct that told her to attack, trying to get out of this cleanly without endangering the humans she was hiding.

"MURDERER!!!" The High Lord roared.

"Well, well, what manners you have fae. Coming into a lonesome girl's house in the middle of the night without knocking, how utterly barbaric." There was a cruel playfulness in her voice, she sounded completely different than the usual laid-back symphony her voice usually sounded like.

"You... You MURDERER! you-"

Kali cut him off needing him out of the house, "I assume you are here about that little pest I eliminated... Or are we discussing another murder?"

The only response she received was an animalistic growl.

"What do you want fae?"

"The payment you must offer is the one demanded by the treaty between our realms." In all honesty, Kali had no idea what treaty he was referring to.

She was born and raised in a prison cell and then spent 20 years in an Illyrian War Camp as the ONLY female warrior... Needless to say, she didn't know shit about fae politics. She knew Amarantha took over, using her and the other children. She wanted something with Tamlin and after killing his daughter he had 50 years to do something.

This was the first time she had even met a high lord. "And what payment does this treaty require?"

"A life for a life. Any unprovoked attacks on faerie kind by humans are to be paid only by human life in exchange."

Before Kali could utter another word she heard Elain and Nesta frantically calling out to Feyre in low whispers. Feyre slammed the door open running out to her sister figure. "W-Wait! Please! Kali didn't kill the wolf, I did! I shot it not her!"

Kali had only experienced this fear once before. Images of lifeless violet eyes and pale caramel skin covered in blood flashed in her mind... her brother, Antares.

She felt like they were ripping his wings from his back all over again to take to Rhysand. The same utter terror shot through her, not for herself but for her sister.

That little girl she picked up in the woods and gave her a family she never dreamed she'd have. She didn't care if she was dragged back to her cell. She didn't care if Amarantha found her. She didn't even care if the high lord in front of them killed her. If he touched Feyre, he was going to feel just how dark the night can get.

She would rip him limb from limb like the Illyrian she was trained to be. No fae bastard would ever harm her family again.

"-I will let you in on a secret, human: Prythian must claim your life in some way, for the life you took from it. So, as a representative of the immortal realm, I can either gut you like swine, or you can cross the wall and live out your days in Prythian." Kali tuned back into the beast saying.

"Do it Feyre." Her father said, "Go."

"Shut your filthy mouth, you useless old man!" Kali hissed at him.

Feyre began saying her goodbyes before getting to Kali last. "I know that Prythian is not safe for you... That it would draw too much attention if you went back...Just... P-Please Kali-"

I knew what she was getting at, "I'll be right behind you, Little Star." She nodded allowing herself to be taken by the High Lord.

After they got a distance away I turned to my family.

"Okay I don't have long, I'm going to go with her unseen. I'll come back to check on you in a few days. The money from my last job is in my bag, ONLY use it for food, until I get back." Kali turned to take off after Feyre but Nesta grabbed her arm.

"Watch out for her ok? And at least try to take care of yourself. If you come back injured I'm shaving that pretty black hair of yours do you understand?" I laughed, knowing she meant every word.

"I'll see you in a few days, little Luna. Take care of Elain for me while I'm gone okay?"

Nesta nodded taking Elain's shaking hand in hers.

Kali ran out into the night allowing her wings to take her high into the night sky where she could follow her sister all the way back to the place she thought she'd never return to... Back to Prythian