Chapter 9

"I have to go back to Prythian." Feyre declared as she stormed into Kali's room. 

Kali froze looking at her sister with an awkward grimace, "Uh...Why?"

They had been back at the Archeron Estate for a while now, things were getting back to normal but Kali always noticed a sadness in Feyre's eyes. A kind of longing she recognized from when Marcus used to look at her: love. 

"I love Tamlin." 

Kali had to hold herself back from gagging. Tamlin? Really? Not even Lucien. I mean Lucien she could understand, but TAMLIN?

"I'm not asking you to come-"

"Don't be stupid, little star. Of course, I'll go with you." Kali cut her off and Feyre released a sigh of relief. Even though she wouldn't force her sister to come, she was damn glad Kali would be by her side. 

So they packed their bags. Kali informed Nesta and Elain of what was happening and they were on their way back to Prythian. 

Feyre held tightly as Kali flew with her cradled in her arms. 

When they arrived, it looked as if a fight took place in the house. The house was empty and in disarray. 

After looking for a while Feyre found Alis still in the house, she told Feyre that Tamlin and Lucien are still alive but they have been taken to Amarantha Under the Mountain.

The blood freezes in Kali's veins. 

Under the mountain.

UNDER THE MOUNTAIN?!?!

She couldn't go back. She didn't give a shit about some High Lord. She refused to go back! 

Never again. Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.Never again.

Never again!

Never again would she walk into those dark cells. Never again would she gaze upon that red-headed nightmare! Never again.

But then she turned. And looked at the unshed tears in her little sister's eyes. And she knew that Feyre would walk into that hell, whether Kali went with her or not. 

And she knew one promise stood above the others. One crippling fear would make her walk her Illyrian ass right into Amarantha's Court. 

Never again would she lose a little sibling to those monsters. 

"Let's go Feyre... I can lead the way." 

No matter how strong Alya... -Kali had become. She was not prepared for the crippling terror she felt as she looked upon the entrance of the Mountain. 

Memories of finally getting out, memories of the cold, of the agony, of her brother's lovely violet eyes. 

Tears filled kali's eyes as she stood frozen. 

"Kali? are you okay?" Feyre asked voice laced with uncertainty.

She had never seen her sister so utterly shaken before and it was unnerving. 

"Feyre, you have to understand. When you walk in there, they will beat you, they will drag you to the cells, do not drink wine while w are here, and do not make deals unless her life depends on it. Whatever you do Feyre, do not trust anyone in there - not even Tamlin. Your senses will be waiting to betray you. Alis says there is still one part of the curse that she can't tell you about. I don't know what that is but for the love of the Mother keep fighting. I will not be able to help you much down there, you will be pretty much on your own. I will be with you, unseen the whole time."

Feyre nodded in understanding, absorbing all of her sister's advice. She wasn't stupid, she knew this was suicide. But she loved Tamlin and she had Kali by her side. 

Kali disappeared from view as the attor walked out to take Feyre under the mountain. 

~~~~~~~~

Amarantha says Feyre will complete three tasks, one task every month at the full moon.

Now Feyre sat broken and bloodied in a cell that belonged to Rose, the daughter of Tamlin, a long time ago. 

Kali appeared by her side, cuddling her sister up close. 

She healed her sister and tried wiping the dried blood from her face. She hummed an Illyrian song as she worked on her sister. 

"Kali?"

"Hm?"

"Tell me a secret."

Kali stopped in her movements, looking up at Feyre, "You see that cell? My brother and I were born in that cell. We spent the first twenty years of our lives in that cell before I escaped. My brother died in that cell." 

Kali's voice had grown quiet as Feyre looked at her in awe. 

"What was his name?" Feyre half expected the same answer as always, ask me again tomorrow. 

But instead, she heard the weak and pained whisper leave her sisters lips, "Antares... His name was Antares."

"How did you escape?" Feyre asked. 

"When my brother was killed... I was so angry. So heartbroken. I found my strength in my pain. I exploded, taking all the guards with me. I slaughtered them all, just as they had done to us. To all of the others... Feyre, I survived down here for twenty years. You are much stronger than I, little star, you will be fine." A tear escaped Kali's violet eyes as she cupped Feyre's face.

"I will survive this."

"You will."

Feyre smiled at her sister's comfort. 

"Hey, do you know the answer to Amarantha's riddle?" Feyre asked.

"Feyre darling, I was raised in a cell, my education consists of the best way to kill, I am not exactly known for my solving skills. My first thought was 'Love'. But that would be dumb, who would put the weight of their entire empire on such a dumb answer."

"Ya, you're probably right. I'm not gonna risk getting it wrong it would probably be safer just to do the trials." 

"Yeah maybe."