Chapter 7

Kali's wish to never hear of the High Lord of Night again, went unanswered.

First, his idea of a prank including mounting the head of a fae of the mountain statue in the garden. Then she heard Lucien tell of the slaughter of two dozen winter court younglings. And now she could sense him approaching the Spring Court. 

Shit.

She watched as Tamlin glamoured Feyre to blend in and had Lucien stand in front of her. She would have helped. She wanted to reinforce the obvious gaps in the Glamour. She knew if her father was anything like her, he would spot the glamour in time. 

But... If he was like her. If he had the ability to see through the glamour... He could probably sense the use of night court power. 

He would find her. He would drag her back under the mountain to Amarantha and she would be killed. 

She just had to hope that she wouldn't have to step in. Have faith in Tamlin or the incompetence of Rhysand.

Casual footsteps sounded from the hall. 

"High Lord." The taunting voice from Calanmai spoke through the silence.

Kali stiffened. Moving quietly towards Feyre in case she felt the need to step in.

"What do you want Rhysand?" Tamlin growled from his seat.

"Rhysand? I don't see you for 49 years and you start calling me rhysand? only my prisoners and enemies call me that." The High Lord of Night replied.

And that is why we exclusively referred to him as Rhysand in the cells,  Aly-no- Kali thought. 

"We were in the middle of lunch" Tamlin's voice broke her from her wandering thoughts.

"Stimulating," Rhysand's sarcasm made her uncharacteristically angry. Though she supposed that wasn't so hard for him to do. 

Something Tamlin said slapped her back to attention from her continually wandering mind. He called Rhysand Amarantha's whore. 

He... HE SLEPT WITH THAT MONSTER!?!

The bane of her nightmares, the red hair bitch who slaughtered her brother, who threatened daily to kill them and he slept with her. 

"Her whore I might be, but not without reason. At least I'm not biding my time among the hedges and flowers while the world goes to hell. I was so sorry to hear about your daughter, Rose, by the way. And Little Lucien. you certainly caused a fuss when you switched to spring. Such a sad thing to see you're mother mourning over losing you." He didn't even deny the accusation. 

While they rotted in the cells he was in a relationship with the monster who caused their suffering. Not only that but he brought up, Rose. 

Rose was Tamlin's daughter, she was just like them. Born to be a threat held over the High Lord's head. She was in the cells with them for a few years when Amarantha got bored and made Tamlin kill her. She was always crying in the cells, not handling the torture as well as Alya and Antares. 

Kali didn't think it was possible for her to hate her father more, but he never failed to surprise her.

"You know all about that feeling don't you, Rhysand. Tell me do you, fuck her beneath the mounted wings of Antares? Or was it Alya? I can't recall." Lucian spat. 

The air changed with those few words. 

The atmosphere became dark and deadly as night. Not only from the raging High Lord of the Night Court but the unseen Heir of the Night Court as well. 

Rhysand forced himself not to lash out. To everyone around him, he made it appear as though he couldn't care less that his children were dead because of him. 

He forced on the mask of indifference as he turned back to Tamlin, "Are you going to let him speak to me like that?" 

"I don't enforce rank," Tamlin replied shortly.

"still? but it's so entertaining when the grovel"

"This isn't the night court and you have no power here- so clear out. Amarantha's bed grows cold." Kali knew Lucien was just trying to aggravate the high lord into leaving fast, but all it was doing was reminding the Illyrian trained nightmare watching them that her father was sleeping with her brother's killer.

Kali felt her heart stop when she saw Rhysand notice the extra plate on the table. 

"Where's your guest" 

"I sent them off when I sensed your arrival" Tamlin responded quickly. 

Rhysand moved towards Lucian and like she predicted, saw right through the glamour, "You dare glamour me?" 

In seconds he was staring down at a terrified Feyre.

They talked but Kali wasn't listening, she focused on creating a mental wall in Ferye's mind that not even Rhysand would be able to get by it. 

Rhysand tried, really tried to blast through the shields in the human's head. He clenched his jaw trying to power his way through. He had never been so thoroughly blocked out before. 

He nearly cried out when he felt someone pushing back. Another Daemati?

He was slowly being overpowered until he felt the push against his own mental shields. 

What was worse is he felt those shields he had spent centuries perfecting, crack. 

In poured a female voice, "Now that is rather rude, High Lord of Night. Don't you know you shouldn't poke about a lady's mind without permission?  Try to harm her again and I will liquefy your brain."

Rhysand for the first time since his son's wings were thrown at his feet, felt utterly terrified.

If someone could get into his head, they could see Velaris, they could see his court of dreams, they could single-handedly ruin everything he loved.

And so with a few last remarks and the retrieval of the human's obviously fake name, Rhysand left the Spring Court utterly horrified about what happened.