Chapter 18

Rather than embrace and make sure she was okay, the first thing Tamlin did when Feyre was returned to him was INTEROGATE HER!

The only reason he wasn't fucking dead was because Kali could sense someone approaching. She had no idea how she knew and Tamlin didn't but she knew he was almost there. 

Hazel eyes and blue siphons popped into her mind as she felt him approach. She put up her glamour to change her appearance slightly. She looked just like she did the first time they met. Winnowing out to the woods where she knew he was she found him perched on a tall branch observing the house. 

Silently Kali slid the knife from its spot on her hip and winnowed up behind him. 

The cool Illyrian Steel pressed against the side of the Shadowsingers neck as she spoke, "We have got to stop meeting like this." 

Without hesitation he through his leg back, kicking her directly in the chest. The wind knocked out of her as she tumbled to the ground. 

The shadow singer was once again on top of her. This time he straddled her waist and held one wrist in each hand.

"What are you doing in the Spring Court, Shadowsinger?" Kali asked trying to regain her breathe. 

"What are you doing in the Spring Court, Illyrian female?" His deep voice asked. Though there was significantly less hostility than the first time they met. 

"I live here, jackass. Now you." Kali shifted trying to get him off of her. 

"I don't have to tell you anything... If you live in the Spring Court then why were you in the Night Court?" The Shadow singer asked. 

"Question for a question. I was flying around your house, your stalking mine, we're even. So what are you doing in the Spring Court?"

"I'm not at liberty to answer that." 

The shadows swirled around him, they looked as if they were whispering secrets into his ears. He was so damn pretty it was distracting. In a quick movement, she bucked her hips, throwing him forward enough for her to flip them over so their positions were reversed. 

He fought against her hold, growling in annoyance as she smirked looking down at him.

"Fine don't tell me why you're being a creepy fucking peeping tom. Answer me this... You gotta name? Or is it just Shadowsinger?" Kali looked down at him watching as he looked up at her in mild annoyance. 

"Come on, Shadowsinger. I wasn't asking for a kidney, just your name. What's the harm? You can either tell me or I'll just give you one. I can assure you, darling, I can be quite creative, so you might as well give me the real one."

"...Azriel." He sighed in defeat if only to get her to shut up. 

The name fit him, she didn't know why the name fits him so well but it did. Maybe it's because it sounded so regal, he had a kind of graceful power about him that just made sense. It was incredibly alluring.

"See that wasn't so hard... Aren't you gonna ask me my name?"

"I don't care."

"Fine, live in suspense then."

He threw he off once again, slamming her over his head and onto her back. 

"What business do you have with Feyre Archeron?" Azriel asked, looking down at her. His voice was harsh but there wasn't much threat behind it anymore. 

"I'm Kali Archeron. Her sister." Kali rolled onto her feet, now standing in front of the Shadowsinger. 

"Why would Feyre Archeron have an Illyrian sister?"

"I'm adopted... Now based on your line of questioning, you aren't here because of me. What is your business with my sister?" Azriel stiffened as Kali's entire demeanor changed. 

Her playful, flirty energy vanished. In its place was a soldier, a demon ready to tear him apart if he posed a threat to Feyre.

Kali noticed his weight shift to a defensive stance. Growling a threat her eyes darkened as she watched his every movement, "We just left. What could the night court possibly want with Feyre now." 

"I was sent to ensure her safety."

"Don't fucking lie."

"I'm not. The High Lord sent me to make sure she was safe." Kali lightly went into his head to see if he was lying. She snuck past the walls of shadows in his mind that seemed to part for her without his knowledge. 

He was telling the truth. 

"Well, she's safe. So tell your High Lord to fuck off." Kali spat. 

"Watch how you speak about my High Lord," Azriel growled taking a threatening step towards her. 

"Watch how you speak to me." Azriel had no idea what changed in her voice then, that gave him the need to back off. There was a dominance in her tone that reminded him of a High Lord. A power in her words that spoke the threat without much effort. 

There was a beat of silence where the only sound was their heavy breathing. Their noses were an inch apart as they glared into each other's eyes.

The shadows whispered something into his ear and his eyebrows furrowed. He examined her face closely, his face pulled in a concentrated look. 

"You're glamoured... Why?" Azriel asked.

"That is none of your business, Azriel." He tensed up drastically as she spoke his name for the first time. The hair on his arms stood up and a bolt of electricity shot down his spine.

"What are you hiding, Kali?" Hearing her name drip from his lips, slow and rich like honey, her body reacted in a similar way as his.  

"Why are you so obsessed with me?"

"Don't think so highly of yourself, brat. I'm a spymaster. It's my job to learn secrets so what are you hiding?" He growled in frustration. 

"Well spymaster obviously you suck at your job, I spotted you the second you got here." 

"Don't be obstinate." 

"...I don't even know what that means."

"It means stop being a fucking brat and answer my questions."

"I don't have to answer shit... Go back to your master, Azriel. Or I inform Tamlin of his newest uninvited guest." Kali growled. 

"Is that a threat?" Azriel returned her glare tenfold. 

"You would know if I was threatening you. Seeing as your not pissing yourself, I'd say it was just a polite warning." Kali cooed in a mocking playfulness.

"You are the most frustrating female I have ever had the misfortune of speaking to."

"And you are wasting the head start I so charitably bestowed upon you."

"You can use the word bestow in casual conversation but you don't know what obstinate means." Azriel raised his eyebrows in mock amusement.

"Fly home, little bat. You're being a pest."

"I'm very persistent. I will find out what you're hiding."

"Are you sure you're a spymaster? I think you're just nosey as hell."

"Shut your mouth, brat." The annoyance replaced his arrogant smirk as she teased him. 

Kali turned to leave, only for someone to grab onto her arm stopping her retreat. She spun around to find Azriel, his hazel eyes looking more golden in his frustration. 

"You will not tell Tamlin I was here." 

"...Goodbye Azriel. I'm sure I'll see you again. You just can't seem to stay away from me for long. Like a fucking mosquito." She pulled her arm from his grasp walking away. 

"Brat," she heard Azriel mutter from behind her as she made her way back into the house.