Chapter 34

A soft smile took over Kali's features as she felt the increasingly familiar touch of her mate. He had flown in through the window last night to escape her father's curious gaze. 

The golden morning sunlight poured through the cracks between the drapes as the sound of Azriel's slow, steady breathing tickled her ears.

The pace of his breath changed as he pulled her closer, burying his nose in her neck and placing light kisses down her nape. "Good morning." The shadow singer's deep, gravelly morning voice spilled over her like soft rain, sending chills across her skin. 

"Good morning, Azriel Darling." Her soft smile spread into a grin as she turned in his arms to face him. 

The shadows wrapped around them, weaving the two Illyrians closer. They danced across their bare skin before gliding up to Azriel's ears and whispering their secrets. He stiffened at whatever they had told him, flying out of bed with neck-breaking speed. 

"Az what the hell-" Kali's confusion was cut off by a sharp knock at her door.

"Um, Alya? You awake, sweetheart?" The grating voice of the High Lord of Night pierced through the peaceful morning. 

Kali growled in annoyance as she wrapped the sheet around her bare body, not bothering to fix her sex hair as she stomped towards the pest behind the door. 

She pulled the door open partially so that Azriel would not be seen as he frantically tried to put on pants. "What the fuck do you want Rhysand?" Kali spat at the startled High Lord. 

Rhysand's nose scrunched in disgust as the scent of sex poured from his sweet daughter. His violet eyes lit with fury as he took in his heir's appearance. 

Hickeys bruised her neck and her barely covered chest, she was wrapped in a sheet, her hair was a mess, her lips were swollen and red and her wrists that looked like some kind of rope had been tied around them. 

"Alya... Is someone... in there with you?" Rhysand growled. 

"Fuck off, High Lord. My sex life is none of your concern. Now. What. do. you. want?" Kali growled once more, having no patience for this male's bullshit. 

"This is my house. And whether or not you like it you are MY daughter-" 

"Rhysand, you fucked my tormentor and the murderer of your son for fifty years. Don't start with me, now state your reason for interrupting my morning sex or get out of my sight." 

"HE'S STILL HERE?!?" 

As Rhysand nearly entered the room Alya grabbed him by his throat pulling him down to her level. 

She tore into his mind, ignoring his grunts of agony as she clawed out the information she wanted. 

They received word from the human queens, that they leave tomorrow for the Archeron estate. He's teaching Feyre about the High Lords and as his heir, he thought he should teach her too.

"I'll head out tonight to get to my sister's first. And why the fuck would I need to learn about fae politics?" Kali said, her monotone voice holding an edge of annoyance as Rhys tried to regain his footing. 

"You are my heir. Future High Lady of the night cour. You should know-" 

"Oh Cauldron, Rhysand. I'm not your heir. I don't give a shit about the Night Court or its people. I'm a soldier, a weapon, that's it. The only reason I am here is because of Feyre. The second she decides she wants to leave, we are gone. Proximity does not change the state of our relations, High Lord." 

Before he could say a word, Kali had closed the door in her father's face. 

Turned to see a shirtless, yet troubled Azriel. 

"You should scrunch your eyebrows like that. You'll get wrinkles on that pretty face of your-"

"Did you mean that?" Azriel whispered. 

"Yes, wrinkles are a big problem when-"

"No, not that you brat... when you said if Feyre left, you would leave too," Azriel growled moving closer to his mate. 

There was a moment of silence as Azriel's scarred fingers lightly dug into Kali's hips. 

"Yes. I would go with her... my duty to protect my sisters comes before all else. Just as your duty as brother and spymaster would come first. Responsibility will always win out for people like us, Azriel, so let's just enjoy this while-"

"STOP. Why do you sound as if we are just some passing fantasy? We are MATES, Alya, we are not some fleeting romance that will end. We are not temporary." Azriel's jaw clenched in anger as he cradled his mate's face.  

"We have responsibilities to our families-"

"We have responsibilities as mates!"

"My sisters are all I have, Azriel!"

"NOT ANYMORE!" 

"THIS WILL END, AZRIEL! Happiness is not a luxury for people like me. This joy is fleeting so why can't we just enjoy it?" 

"STOP TALKING LIKE THAT! Like you are some lesser being whose only reason for being is as a weapon. You are not just a shield for your loved ones to hide behind."

"THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM. I WAS BORN A WEAPON, TO BE USED AGAINST MY FATHER. I WAS RAISED AS A WEAPON, TO BE USED AGAINST MY ENEMIES. I WILL DIE A WEAPON, PROTECTING WHAT I HAVE." 

A growl ripped through the otherwise calm morning air. He shut her up, slamming his lips onto hers, "Never. mention. your. death. to. me... I do have a responsibility to my court, to my family, to my high lord... But my first priority will always be my cauldron-bestowed brat. You are my mate, Alya. Mine. And I will not let you think so little of what you are to me... You are not a weapon, you are half of my fucking soul... I love you, Alya. I'm not going to let you just walk away now that I've found you." 

She wanted to tell him. 

Warn him about what the carver had told her. 

How she was going to die soon. How they wouldn't last. How no good thing lasted long for her. How the carver had warned her they would only be happy for a time. 

But as she looked into those broken golden eyes, she couldn't find it in herself to break his heart. There was nothing to be done, so what was the point of worrying him?

She was going to die and it would be worth it. 

"You love me?"

"So fucking much."

"I love you too, Mr. Stalker."

"I love you, you obstinant fucking brat."