Chapter 13

Right after, Kali hid and re-glamoured herself in a feeble attempt to escape having to talk to her father, who was relentlessly searching for his still faceless daughter.

Kali slipped behind his mental shields without him noticing. 

'Where is she!?!? She's got huge wings and is covered head to toe in blood she shouldn't be this fucking hard to find!'

Rhysand's thoughts screamed at her. He had continually sent his power out, trying to sense her, but her powers blended too seamlessly with his to tell where he ended and she began so he couldn't find her. 

He knew she was here. 

He knew she was most likely glamoured. 

But he still couldn't fucking find her!

'Feyre darling... Could you go up to Rhysand and pass on a message for me? He's on the balcony right now.'

'Sure what is it?'

'Tell him to return to the night court. Tell him I have no interest in talking to him. Tell him that should I ever desire to speak with him I will find him.'

She watched as Feyre made her way to the balcony. Rhysand schooled his features maintaining a casual conversation for far too long in Kali's opinion. 

After Feyre spoke, Rhysand looked heartbroken and turned to look out over the balcony at the sprawling landscape. 

They exchanged a few more words. 

Then the strangest thing happened, the color drained from Rhysand's face as he looked at Feyre in shock. Just like that, he was gone... Winnowed far away. 

Feyre walked back into the room, looking around for her sister. 

Kali allowed the glamour to drop, having used her magic to wipe herself clean of the blood as she strutted up to her sister. 

"That took a while just to tell him to fuck off," Kali said in her usual mischievous teasing manner. 

Her movements were unhurried and casual, just as they were since Feyre met Kali.

"He told me to tell you that he still wants to talk, that he's sorry, and that he loves you... Whatever that means... What, did he have a crush on you or something?" Feyre asked. 

And acid-like anger filled her heart as Kali spat out a venomous response, "No... He just witnessed me tearing into his boss with my bare hands... He's just saying things because he's scared he's next."

"Kali... Amarantha mentioned your father b-before..."

"I have no father, Feyre... The man she is referring to is the sperm donor who as far as I'm concerned, killed my brother... I have no father." 

Feyre, sensing Kali's discomfort with the topic, let it drop as she turned to see Tamlin coming toward them. 

Feyre smiled brightly at him as she marched to grab his hand and bring him before Kali, allowing Tamlin to see her for the first time. 

"Tamlin... I want you to meet my sister, Kali." Feyre looked from Kali to Tamlin as his jaw dropped in shock. 

Feyre had told him about her sister, her protector. 

It was Rhysand's daughter... Feyre's doting sister was the lone survivor of the generation of heirs, Alya. 

Tamlin had been too distraught earlier to truly question why Alya had cared about Feyre when she first faced Amarantha. He hadn't even questioned it when she threatened to slaughter every High Lord if they didn't save Feyre.

But there she stood, the mirror image of a male he despised, and she had protected Feyre when he couldn't. 

She had been with Feyre the whole time, caring for her when he couldn't. Maybe she had been there the whole time Feyre was in Prythian, though it was a little disconcerting that she could watch them and remain completely unseen for so long.

"Ah yes... the boyfriend... My sister walked into hell for you, High Lord... Make sure that doesn't happen again. If you hurt Feyre, I will burn your court to the ground and rip you apart... other than that it is a pleasure to meet you!"

Needless to say, Tamlin was rather intimidated.

But the words struck something within him. Snapped something in his feeble little male brain. 

My sister walked into hell for you, High Lord... Make sure that doesn't happen again. 

He wouldn't.

He loved Feyre and she had suffered because of him. 

She would never experience that pain or suffering again for the rest of their immortal lives. 

She had that deal with Rhysand, but he was sure he could bargain a trade, Feyre for Alya... He didn't even think Alya would object, with how fiercely loyal she was to Feyre. 

He would keep Feyre safe at all costs. 

This would never happen again. 

"Thank you, Alya, for taking care of Feyre when I couldn't. I swear to you I will protect her for the rest of our lives."

"First of all it's Kali... the name Alya died long ago... and my sister doesn't need to be protected, I just need you not to fuck up. I will be there for everything else, whenever she needs me."

A possessiveness overtook Tamlin as Alya staked a claim as Feyre's protector. 

Alya wasn't needed anymore, Feyre had him after all!

Things were going to get a lot worse before they got better... They just didn't know that yet.