Chapter 35

"Are you nervous?" Elain asked as Kali delicately placed pins in Nesta's hair. 

True to her word, Kali had come the night before to ready her sisters for the queen's arrival. The tension was high in the emptied Archeron Estate. Even as the girls got ready, there was a weight to their fun. 

"I don't get nervous, sunshine," Kali smirked that cocky, arrogant smirk that meant she was only half joking. 

Kali had dressed in a black two-piece dress. Designs of silver and stars were sewn into the expensive, night court fabric. (PICTURE OF DRESS AT THE TOP)

She only dressed up because her sisters did. She didn't really feel the need to impress the brat queens. When Kali had first started living with the archerons she had been hired by the queens as a mercenary for some odd jobs. She hated each and every one of the mortal royals. 

So no, she wasn't nervous, but she could already feel the headache forming of having to deal with those bitches. 

She felt the presence approaching, "Feyre and the Night court are here. Elain could you come to finish pinning Nesta's hair while I go greet them." 

Wordlessly Elain took over and began finishing up Nesta's hair.

As she descended the stairs Kali's eyes immediately found Azriel through the window. Her heartbeat sped up as she looked at him. Though he wore his usual attire, his blue siphons gleamed in the sunlight. His naturally tanned skin slightly flushed from the cold winds of flight and his golden eyes searching the landscape for any threat was so utterly alluring. 

Her mate. 

How long would she be allowed with him before their time ran out?

As she opened the door Feyre jumped into her arms. She was wearing a beautiful white dress and an intricate diadem on her head, a tiara fit for a queen. 

Kali laughed holding her sister tight, "Well, star, I knew it was agony without my fabulous presence but I saw you yesterday. Might you be having withdrawals for your big sister?"

The teasing went unacknowledged as Feyre released her, pulling something out of her bag. "Rhysand let me raid the treasury so I brought one for you. You have no choice but to wear it since I went through the trouble of not only finding the perfect one but also lugging it here." 

From her bag, Feyre pulled out a beautiful crown, silver and black. She was right, it matched her dress perfectly. It was regal and expensive looking, but the way Feyre's eyes shined as she placed it on Kali's head made enduring the awkward weight worth it.

 It was regal and expensive looking, but the way Feyre's eyes shined as she placed it on Kali's head made enduring the awkward weight worth it

She was a sucker for those damn puppy eyes. 

But then she looked over Feyre's shoulder to catch Azriel's eye. He was staring at her in unrestrained awe as the crown was sat on her head. 

She was gorgeous.

That went unsaid. But what struck Azriel the most is how his mate looked like the utter embodiment of the Night court. 

From the black, starlight-filled, revealing dress, to the Illyrian tattoos and wings, her obsidian hair swirled like shadows, her purple eyes bright like the night sky, and now atop her head sat the crown designated for female heirs of the night court.

It had never before been worn, as only male heirs had been born. It was recognized immediately by him and Cassian, both well aware of the meaning behind it. 

Rhysand was claiming her as his true heir.

After Feyre had gotten her diadem to fit her look, Rhysand pulled her aside for a moment. 

"Feyre darling, there is one request I ask of you..." From the center of the room, he unlocked a box. In it sat two twin crowns. Both were silver with black stones, but one looked befitting of a male and one a female. The crown of the heir of Night, not that Feyre was aware of that.

"This is for Alya... She would never touch it if I was the one to give it to her... Would you do it? Give it to her, I mean." Rhysand asked, the vulnerability in his eyes apparent and confusing for Feyre. 

She had a theory that Rhys meant more to Kali than she said. 

At first, she thought he might be the long-lost twin brother, Kali mentioned. They looked similar enough. Or maybe he was Kali's cousin like Mor. 

She wasn't dumb. Feyre saw the resemblance and the hatred Kali had for the male. 

But she also knew Kali. If she wanted their relationship known, she would have said. 

"Why?"

"It's hers. It was made for her, long before she was born... It just... It belongs to her. So please, make sure she gets it." 

As Rhysand looked at his daughter, the incarnation of night, he felt a blazing pride swell in his chest. She may not want the title, but that crown was her birthright, just as its twin would have sat on Antares' head. 

He smiled as his girls giggled together, holding hands and smiling brightly. 

Azriel also very much liked the idea of Alya taking up her title to remain in the night court. As selfish as it was, the idea of her leaving, of his love for her being temporary, took the air from his lungs.

He wanted her to feel at home in the Night Court. At home with him. 

He knew that there was a war coming and that he has a duty to his court to place all his attention on defeating Hybern. But the question had been plaguing his mind, 'If she left, would I follow her?' 

His immediate answer was YES. He would follow her anywhere, do anything just to stay by her side. 

But he thought of Rhys, and Cas, and Mor, and Amren. 

He thought of the family that fought by his side for centuries. The family that had pulled him from the darkness and he understood what she meant. 

She hated his family, hated his court, with good reason. 

She loved him and he loved her, but was that enough?

Two halves of one soul and yet nothing fell into place perfectly. 

He had spent well over five hundred years waiting for her and he would be damned if he let their happiness be taken from them. 

He loved her and she loved him and he would make sure that was enough. 

As Feyre, Rhys, and Cassian left them alone in the hallway Azriel stalked up to her smashing his lips against hers. Her arms threw themselves around his neck as she pulled him closer. 

"You look beautiful, Alya." Azriel smiled into their kiss as she pulled him even closer. 

"You look sexy as always. It's truly unfair how little effort you need to exert to bring me to my knees." Ever the flirt, she kissed him again. 

They were happy, for as long as time would allow.