Chapter 29

The night grew quieter as they left Rita's. Kali continued joking with Cassian as Azriel watched from Mor's side. 

Feyre and Rhysand decided to break off when they suggested going dancing. With a look from Feyre, telling her that she was alright, Kali decided to go with them. 

They giggled their way down the cobblestone roads towards the boisterous sound of music and celebratory fae. Kali tripped a few times as Cassian attempted to push her into any shrubbery they passed. 

They made their way into a large open building, the ceiling was made of glass, displaying the beautiful night sky of Velaris. Music rang out as the crowd danced about, laughing and drinking to their heart's content. 

After finding a table Mor immediately disappeared to find them some drinks. Cassian laughed as he watched a few faes fail to follow the dance moves properly.

Mor came back handing Cassian a beer, Azriel a glass of wine, and Kali some fruity concoction that smelled like rum. 

When Mor turned to look at the crowd, Kali subtly grabbed Azriel's wine and switched their drinks. She remembered his secret about hating the taste of wine and wondered if he only pretended to like the stuff for Mor's sake. 

Kali turned back, ignoring Azriel's questioning glance and the slight smile that seemed to quietly light up his face. 

Cassian grabbed Mor's hand, dragging her onto the dance floor with him. Azriel and Kali laughed as he sloppily stumbled through the motions. 

Azriel was quiet for a moment before turning his attention to Kali. He didn't say anything at first, just took in her soft features in the candlelit room. 

His shadows curled around her, gliding across the smooth skin she displayed. She finished off her glass, turning to him in question but he refused to turn away. 

"What?" She whispered softly, slightly taken back by the warmth displayed in his nearly golden eyes.

He reached out a wonderfully scarred hand to her leaning in slightly so she could hear the words so softly spoken, "Would you care to dance with me, Alya?"

a cold shock shot through her veins as her breath caught in her throat. The earth seemed to quiet around them as if they were the only two around. 

Even amongst the overwhelming crowd and the blaring music, it seemed as though his prayer-like whispers were all she could hear. 

She didn't correct him as her true name rolled off his tongue like the sweetest honey. 

Her calloused hand slid into his as she allowed him to help her stand. They stood so close, that she nearly had to break her neck to look up at him. 

She smiled at him, that warm starlight smile that he could get drunk off of. 

"You should know, I've never danced before," Kali whispered in that same mischievous cleverness that sent a jolt through his heart. 

"You should know, that I'm not much of a dancer myself," Azriel spoke back, pulling her closer just as the music slowed to a more subdued, intimate beat. 

Her hand rested on the back of his neck, unconsciously fiddling with the subtle curls at his nape. Her other was intertwined with his as they swayed slowly with the beat. 

She looked up at him and her eyes sparkled with the reflection of the sky above them. 

"What are you looking at, brat," Azriel's deep voice held an air of teasing as he gazed down at her. She noticed the slight imprint of dimples on his cheeks and wondered what he would look like with a true smile, wide and unrestrained.