Chapter 41

"I don't want you going..." Rhysand said as he tried to express to his daughter why her going to the Illyrian war camps was a terrible idea. 

It amused her that he thought he held any sway over her decisions. 

"They are my home. I have family and friends in those camps, don't fucking start with me, Rhysand." 

Azriel wisely held back his opinion, he agreed with Rhys but it would be suicide to say that now. 

"It is dangerous!"

"It is more dangerous for you to stand in my way." She growled right back. 

It had been a tense few days in the night court. After the fight, Rhys had tried to make amends only to once again be shut out. Alya was as stubborn as she was strong and she could hold a grudge like the worst of them. Even Feyre had tried to intervene in the animosity but was quickly silenced by her sister's violet glare. 

"Why don't we stop arguing and get going? The faster we get there the sooner we can leave." Feyre offered, trying to calm her mate.

With an unwilling nod of agreement, they left for the Illyrian war camps to meet with Lord Devlon.  

The familiar mountains brought a smile to Kali's face as she placed the familiar glamour back on. Her onyx curls turned auburn and her violet eyes turned a golden brown once more. For twenty years she lived joyously in the camp as Kali.

It broke her heart when she had to leave. 

One of Amarantha's spies had recognized her. The spy had killed Marcus before she could even draw a blade. Her secret died with them but it was no longer safe there, she left for the wall. 

Azriel gripped her hand the moment they landed. She could feel his growing anxiety just as he could sense her barely concealed joy. 

She kissed his cheek before releasing his hand and walking towards the training ground. 

"Alya! Where do you think you're going?" Rhys spat trying to grab his daughter's arm as she strutted away from the group. 

"To see my friends. Rhys, fuck off! I'll meet you at Devlon's house." She dodged his outstretched arm quickly moving out of sight. 

She could smell the sweat, blood, and adrenaline of the training grounds before she could see it. The familiar clash of Illyrian steel filled her ears with a nostalgic melody. 

She stood there for a moment, watching as several tattooed males tried to kill each other. Until one of them stopped, his black eyes finding her form before going wide, "KALI!" 

Daemon lept from the ground his wings pushing him forwards as he slammed into her, nearly throwing her off her feat. She laughed, her arms wrapping around his sweaty shoulders as he spun her around in his arms. 

His opponent, Jax, soon joined slamming into them both. Their smiles brightened the dreary courtyard as Cogin, Jon, and Fedor abandoned their battles and joined their long-missed friend. 

"Where the hell have you been, bitch!?" Jon, eloquent as ever screeched as he ruffled her hair. 

They had all been total dicks to her the first few years in the camp, but after extensive ass-kicking, they begrudgingly accepted her into the group. She had taken on the role of a little sister to most of them, giving them the love and affection their own mothers could never afford them. 

All was well and joyous until a furious roar shook the ground around them. 

They all were forced back by an explosion of shadows. As her senses were bombarded with black nothingness she felt the familiar scared hands of her mate wrap around her. 

Azriels rage was palpable as he held his mate close to his chest, growling a warning to the males who dared touch her. His fingers itched to rip them apart, and the blade at his hip hummed with a ravenous bloodthirst.  

The males all stepped back wide-eyed as the Night court's shadow-singer held Kali, his wings and shadows blocking her from their view. 

"Az! It's fine! These are my friends. Azriel, meet Jax, Coggin, Fedor, Jon, and Daemon. We grew up together here. Guys meet my mate, Azriel!" She tried to overcompensate for the imminent threat her mate was by smiling big and giving an overly cheerful introduction but it seemed to only add to the tension. 

"The next time you lay a hand on her will be the last time you have hands," Azriel growled, somehow pulling her impossibly closer into his embrace. 

"Hurt her, shadow man or not, we will hunt you down and carve up your pretty boy face," Fedor growled right back. 

Feeling the tension grow even darker, Kali decided it was best to rejoin the main group. After a slightly rushed goodbye, Azriel dragged her into the woods away from prying eyes. 

His lips smashed into hers, his hands gripping at her attempting to claw the males' scents from his mate's clothes. Once he felt satisfied he pulled away resting his forehead against hers, "You just love tormenting me don't you, brat."

"It's increasingly becoming my favored pass-time, yes." Her giddy mischievous smirk was as endearing as it was anger-inducing. He kissed her once more before they exited the treeline towards the lord's home.

Rhys hated meeting with the arrogant, misogynistic Illyrian warlord. He was always so stubborn and arrogant. 

He insulted his mate, insulted him with nearly every breath he took. He was almost glad Alya wandered off before meeting the bastard in the hope they could leave without any bloodshed. 

Just as they were getting to talking about the imminent war with Hybern a messenger burst through the door. 

Devlon looked beyond enraged at the interruption, glaring harshly at the boy, "How dare-"

"Kali's back!" The boy squealed, bravely cutting off the lord. 

Rather than explode as Rhys expected, Devlon's eyes filled with an emotion none of the night court could place. He sat for a moment in silence eyes glazing slightly before dazedly asking the boy to repeat himself.

"Kali is back! We saw her at the training ground with the others!" The boy repeated. 

Like a bolt of lightning, Devlon was on his feet, marching towards the door. Rhys followed behind, a crippling fear that Devlon was a threat to his daughter came over him. 

They all raced outside after Devlon only to see him frozen staring off towards the woods where Kali herself emerged with Azriel smirking at her side. 

The smile dropped from Azriel's face as he saw Devlon looking at Kali. Before he could step in front of her, Kali was at a sprint towards the older fae. 

Devlon quickly flung his arms out, catching the girl as she threw herself into his embrace. Her arms and legs wrapped tightly around him nearly knocking him off his feet. 

"Papa!" She squealed like a little girl as Devlon held her close in his arms. 

Devlon's smile was so full of light adoration as he held the girl, it almost looked out of place on his ever-stern face. 

Rhysand's heart shattered in his chest as he watched the loving scene. He watched as Devlon put her on her feet once more, kissing the crown of her curly head and laughing at something she said. He watched as Devlon scolded his daughter for being gone so long and making him worry. He watched as she immediately dragged Devlon by the hand towards Azriel, introducing him to her mate. 

She felt that she had to protect her mate from her father, but Devlon was told with no hesitation. Even after Devlon threatened Azriel just as he had done, Kali only smiled and teased her 'papa' for being so protective. She smiled at the war-lord, a look that Rhysand was desperate to earn from her. 

He barely felt Feyre gripping his hand as he watched his daughter look at another man like her father.