Chapter 14

Kali held back Feyre's hair as she continued to vomit up the small dinner Kali had practically force-fed her earlier that night. 

Feyre had been having horrible nightmares since they left under the mountain. She only seemed to calm down if Kali was with her. 

The only good nights of sleep Feyre had gotten in months was when she went to sleep in Kali's room. Her sister held her for the whole night and she slept with no nightmares.

The first time Feyre went to her sister's room for the night, the next morning, Tamlin was furious.

He said he was in a panic because he didn't know where she was. That he understood her pain but she couldn't use her sister as a crutch. That she could rely on him.

But she couldn't rely on him. 

She loved Tamlin and she knew the effect under the mountain had on him as well. He was too busy picking up his own pieces to be worrying about carrying her baggage as well. 

So when Feyre woke up sweating, when she had to be woken from a nightmare, when she needed someone to hold her hair back and hold her close as she cried, it wasn't Tamlin... It was Kali.

Kali had promised under the mountain that if Feyre was strong then, she would be there to pick up the pieces afterward. She kept that promise. 

Kali barely slept as she spent every night by Feyre's side. She would whisper her nightly secret and tell stories of the fae in town. She held her sister close and cleaned up the mess she made. Some nights, while Tamlin was fast asleep, she would take Feyre flying. 

Feyre loved flying.

It was open space and an endless sky. No feeling of being trapped, no terror of what she had been through. All her problems seemed so far beneath her. 

The only time Feyre felt okay was when she was talking and laughing with her adopted sister. 

Tamlin on the other hand LOATHED Kali's presence. 

She looked just like her father and acted like him too. He had given her a room in his house at Feyre's request but he hated her being there. 

She was arrogant and wild, she never did as he told her to. Worst of all Feyre always seemed to run straight to her sister. 

Feyre was feeling tired, straight to Kali.

Feyre wasn't hungry, straight to Kali.

Feyre had a nightmare, straight to Kali.

Feyre was feeling scared, straight to Kali.

Feyre was feeling ANYTHING, straight to Kali!

Kali seemed to be the most important person in Feyre's life and Tamlin hated that fact. He wanted to be the protector, the one she relied on.

When he told Feyre she couldn't train, Kali immediately disregarded his orders and began helping her with simple exercises to get her strength up. 

When he approached her about it all she said was, "You may be a high lord. But you aren't mine. I can and will bury you if you keep barking, mutt." 

Feyre shook involuntarily as she spat the disgusting taste of vomit from her mouth. She leaned back, her head resting on Kali's chest, allowing the soft beat to calm her. 

"Well Little star, I know it's a small victory but you slept two hours more than usual," Kali whispered softly as she tucked Feyre's hair behind her sharp ear.