Chapter 20

Feyre had spent the entirety of her time after waking up, begging Kali not to kill Tamlin. Reluctantly (after Feyre started crying) Kali agreed not to go after him, but if she saw him again no amount of tears would stop her from ripping his throat out. 

The beauty of compromise. 

She had once again gone back to completely ignoring Rhysand's existence. No matter how difficult he was being, she refused to acknowledge him. 

She wouldn't deny the beauty of their residence, the townhouse was in the middle of the bustling city of Velaris. 

It was a city of peace and goodness that Rhysand kept safe from the clutches of Amarantha. 

It was brightly colored and full of life. Kali couldn't imagine a more beautiful place. 

As Rhysand took Feyre on a tour she went off exploring the city on her own. 

She placed her usual Illyrian glamour, knowing that anyone here would recognize her resemblance to the High Lord if she didn't. 

She saw the Palace of Bone & Salt, Palace of Thread & Jewels, and Palace of Hoof & Leaf. But her favorite spot that Velaris was apparently known for, was its artist's quarter, known as the Rainbow of Velaris. 

In the rainbow, there are theaters, galleries, supply stores, and much more. Kali imagined how the Feyre from a year ago would have adored this place. 

"It seems you continue to haunt me where ever I go." She heard a deep annoyed voice call out from behind her. 

She wasn't proud of the high-pitched yelp that escaped her at the terrifying appearance of Azriel. She scowled at his amused features as he looked down at her. 

"I could say the same. This is the third time I've caught you stalking me shadow singer, some spymaster you are." Kali mocked, turning on her heels and continuing her stroll down the streets of Velaris. 

Azriel sped up to keep pace with her as they walked side by side. 

"I'm not stalking you, brat. You just seem to pop up wherever I go." Azriel growled, though there wasn't much threat behind it. 

His shadows reached out for her without his content. The pure darkness gliding across her tanned skin. They practically danced as they clung to the young Illyrian. 

"I asked around about an Illyrian female named Kali... I was surprised to find that you had become somewhat of a legend among the Illyrians. I heard you convinced Devlon to allow you to train with the men. And that you not only took the blood rite... but concurred it." Azriel said offhandedly as looked forward. 

"You really are obsessed with me aren't you? ... ya that's all true." Kali laughed a bit following Azriel's lead by not looking at him. 

They both stopped on a bridge crossing the river. Gazing down at the water, the atmosphere was calm, quiet... intimate. 

"You are still wearing that glamour... Why?" Azriel asked, though his voice was softer than before. 

"... I look a lot like my father... I'm not very fond of the bastard..." Kali said, equally as quiet. 

Azriel stiffened, his jaw clenching tightly, but didn't ask anymore. 

She was an Illyrian, he knew how cruel Illyrian men could be, especially towards women. He hated the thought of what her father would have had to do to get her to despise her own features. 

"What are you doing in Velaris?" Azriel asked, trying to calm himself. 

"Well... Your High Lord brought Feyre here so... Here I am." Kali said 

"Then why aren't you with her at the moment?"  The shadow singer asked, turning his body to slightly face her. 

"I'm currently trying to calm myself enough to not hunt down and kill that blonde mutt the Spring Court calls its high lord." She answered honestly, her teeth grit at the thought of the bastard who caused so much of Feyre's suffering. 

Azriel nodded, having heard the entire situation from Rhys. He knew that Feyre had escaped the Spring court, with her sister. Rhysand had barely talked about what happened under the mountain to all except Mor. 

He had briefly mentioned someone important died under the mountain, and that someday He'd like them to meet someone. 

He had begun sobbing the moment he spoke of them so no one pushed for more information. 

When the quiet got to be too much for Kali, she spoke up. 

"Tell me a secret, Azriel." She asked softly as she leaned on the railing, looking down at the water. 

"What?" He asked, finally turning to look at her.

"It's a game, my sisters and I play. Once a day, they ask me to tell them a secret. Once a day, I do... You are a spymaster, you should be good at this game." Kali smiled fondly, bringing warmth to Azriel's heart as she looked kindly at the water. 

Azriel was quiet for a moment and she thought he would ignore her. But then his calming deep, husky voice sang on the wind as he spoke.

"...I hate the taste of wine."

"You're shiting me."

"I try to pretend I like it, my friends love it so we drink it often... But it's utterly vile. I can't stand the stuff." A small smile broke on his face as she laughed. 

"Your secret is safe with me, Shadow man." She laughed fondly. 

"Tell me a secret, Kali," Azriel whispered back. Leaning in closer to her just as she had done. 

Kali turned to look at him and it felt as if time stood still. The world quieted as they looked into each other's eyes, and Azriel swore for just a second he saw her warm brown eyes flash purple. Her eyes glided crossed his face, studying his perfect features. 

They were so close. So incredibly close, she could feel his shadows caress her face. 

"Okay..." She leaned in closed cupping her hands so she could hid her secret from the rest of the world as she was forced to stand on her toes to reach his ear. 

She leaned in close, her breath caressing his ear as she whispered softly, "I think you've got to be the most gorgeous male I've ever seen." 

He became completely flustered at her blatant honestly but she didn't seem shaken at all. She didn't give him time to respond as she stretched out her wings and took off into the sky, towards the townhouse. Leaving Azriel standing there, flushed red, he watched as her figure shrank into the distance. 

He let out a labored breath as he turned back to the water whispering in the wind, "Fucking Brat."