Chapter 33

"He's gonna kick my ass, Mor," Cassian said as he looked up at the house of winds. 

He and Mor had been thoroughly avoiding it for the last three days, staying at the townhouse instead. They knew the two mates had completed the bond, they also knew that Rhys was coming back tomorrow and they needed to air out the place and take the edge off Azriel before he got home. 

"It's either you flirt with Alya and get your ass beat, or Rhys gets home and Azriel is still fucking his daughter in honeymoon bliss," Mor said, equally unwilling to be the one to break up the party.

"..." Cassian didn't speak, weighing the option of watching Rhys kill Az or going up there and flirting with a feral male's mate.

"Take one for the team Cas," Mor said patting him lightly on the back. 

"You go up there and flirt with her then!"

"Not gonna work. Needs to be an unmated male... Now go so that he can chill out before her father and sister get home." Mor pushed him towards the house, taking a few major steps back, herself.

Cas breathed out a long-suffering sigh as he flew up to the House. 

He knocked, loudly declaring his presence before entering. 

His nose scrunched in disgust at the smell of sex that stained the air. The house understood Cassian's unspoken request and the windows and balcony doors swung open airing out the space. 

Kali was the first to descend the stairs smirking, "Well... what an unwelcome surprise."

Before Cassian could utter a word Azriel was down the stairs and stood tensed in front of his mate. 

Kali lightly placed a hand on his back allowing Az to calm slightly, but that's not what Cassian was here for. 

Azriel looked positively crazed when Cas took a step closer to the two, he pushed Kali further behind him, hiding her in between his wings as he uttered a warning growl to Cas. 

"Why are you here, brother?" Azriel growled, the shadows around him darkening the room. 

Cassian moved towards the balcony doors, knowing that when Azriel was on him he'd go off the edge and into the training grounds rather than destroying the house.

"Well..." After a moment of hesitation, Cassian mentally prepared himself for the ass-kicking he was about to have to weather. 

Kali, having read his thoughts, removed her hand from Azriel ready to stay out of it. She snapped her fingers and truth-teller, along with every weapon on the training ground reappeared in Azriel's bedroom, far out of his reach.

"Well, I was hoping to catch a glimpse of Alya's sexy, naked body. If you're done with her maybe I could give her a rid-" Cassian didn't even get to finish his taunt when Azriel was on him. 

His hands closed around Cas' throat as he tackled him off the balcony and onto the training ground. Azriel's roar of rage shook the mountain as Kali watched out the window waiting for her morning coffee to heat up. 

The ground shattered at the force of their landing. It was almost impossible to see their movements with the thick veil of shadows clouding their lightning-quick movements. 

Mor showed up next to her pouring a cup of coffee for herself as they both watched the boys try to kill each other. 

"Happy Mating," Mor smirked, congratulating her niece.

"It was indeed," Kali smirked back.

By the time lunch rolled around, Azriel came stumbling in, thoroughly beaten up. Kali stood immediately rushing over to her mate. 

"I'm fine," Az whispered softly as he smiled at Kali's concern. 

"Where's Cas?" Mor asked.

"We might need Madja for him..." Az half smirked half winced as the looked out at Cassian sprawled across the ground bleeding and KO'd. 

"Are you feeling better?" Kali asked, referring to the hyperprotectiveness. 

"Still on edge, but I'm probably fine... At least I hope I am." Az pulled Kali into his arms, allowing her scent to calm him. "But if he says some more shit like that, brother or not, I will kill him." 

Kali laughed burying her smile in his shoulder and wrapping her arms tightly around him. 

"I'd expect nothing less."

Az leaned down placing a light kiss on her lips as she smiled up at him, so lost in each other they forgot about Mor watching and Cassian's semi-critical condition. 

The next day Rhys appeared back first. 

After a lot of effort, they were able to get the smell of sex out of the house enough that Rhys wouldn't notice unless he was looking for it. 

He had been a little concerned to come home to find his brother beaten to hell and his daughter covered in bruises. But they convinced him they sparred and it was forgotten. 

Feyre and Amren came crashing into the room of the townhouse, soaking wet and in a fit of laughter later that day, scaring the living daylights out of the collective inner circle. 

Kali was in Feyre's room that night telling her sister everything. She told her how they accepted the mating bond. She was forced to go into ridiculous detail about the sex.

But Kali had never been happier.

She had her sister and her mate.

Sure there was a war brewing and Kali's father was breathing down her neck. And so what if she knew she was going to die soon? 

She still hadn't told anyone what she and the bone carver had talked about. She didn't think she ever would. She knew she was going to die and that some unwilling sacrifice would be made, but she also knew that she was going to be happy with Azriel until then.

The queens who she was warned not to trust had agreed to a meeting. She would be able to see Nesta and Elain soon. 

Things were good. 

Too good. 

Kali never really trusted when things were too good. 

But she was happy, after her conversation with Feyre she would sneak back into Azriel's room and spend the night with her precious mate. 

She had learned long ago, to enjoy the good with you had it, because it never lasted long.

Something bad was coming and Kali knew she wouldn't survive it.