Chapter 24

Kali was not pleased when she returned from her bath. 

Apparently, Feyre had agreed to go to the Weaver's trove and agreed to be an emissary for the Night Court AND offered up their sister's estate to meet the queen's.

"NO! NO! NO! HAVE I MENTIONED NO!" Kali roared at her sister. 

"This is necessary!" Feyre said back. 

"Oh, and who says that, almighty fucking Rhysand? It puts you at risk, we'll find another way."

"You would have done it! If it protected us you would have."

"MY LIFE IS WORTH A LOT LESS THAN YOURS, FEYRE! I'm a suicidal nutcase with a tendency for violence and a coping mechanism of sarcasm. The world would be fine if I died."

"MINE WOULDN'T!" After a moment of silence Feyre continued, "Whenever I need you, you are there protecting me... But I need to be strong on my own... Because if you died protecting me I wouldn't be able to live with myself... I have to prove I'm worthy of that love, Kali, not just to you but to myself." 

Kali's shoulders sagged as she listened. 

She remembered that feeling. That need to become strong enough. Strong enough to protect all that matters. The desire is all-consuming.

Against her better judgment, she agreed, with the assurance that Rhysand would be there the whole time. 

After they left Kali sat at the table awaiting their return. 

The tapping of her foot was driving poor Azriel insane who was just trying to read his book, "For the Mother, can you please panic a little more quietly." 

"Fuck off... My sister is out there with a death god alone." Kali spat.

"Rhys is there too."

"I wouldn't trust your precious High Lord to hold my drink let alone protect my sister." She growled. 

Azriel snapped the book closed in annoyance. 

"What is your problem with, Rhys?" Azriel growled, it always got to him how she hated Rhys so much. 

"None of your business." 

"It is! It is my business because you are a threat to my high lord and brother... Who are you really?"

In all honesty, she was shocked that Rhysand hadn't blabbed about their relationship, or Mor for that matter, or Amren. The only members of the inner circle who didn't know were Azriel and Cassian.

She said nothing only annoying the Shadow singer further. 

"You are the most annoying, frustrating female I have ever met..."

"Then you already know who I really am," Kali answered smugly. 

"Why don't you drop the glamour?" 

"I already told you, I look like my father and I hate it." 

"Is your father dangerous?"

"Yes."

"Is he a threat to us?"

"Quite the opposite."

"Are you a threat to us?"

"I could be, but I'm not... Though that could very well change in the next few minutes of Rhysand marches in here with my sister hurt."