Chapter 1: getting my back broken (not fun)

Morgan Sinclair

I didn't think that the first night at my new college would end with me getting my back broken. And not in the fun way.

I'm kind of annoyed about it. Not how I wanted to kick this year off. I got into my dream school, University of Miami. Big change from New York but I've loved this school since I found out what college was. I was looking forward to this for a while.

I had decided to spend my first two years at a nearby community college to get my pre rec classes out of the way and save money. It was definitely a good idea, but the vibe of the school was: go to class, go home, and that's it. So to get to a big university I was excited for that cliche "college experience." I was excited to get shitfaced at a frat party, hookup with random guys, join a sorority and probably regret it. It's where you're gonna make the most mistakes, I mean it's the first time most people have complete, or almost complete freedom. Every adult ever always told me "college is where you're supposed to find yourself" and I was really hoping that would reign true.

To kick the year off I wanted to have a fun night out with my new roommates who weirdly didn't have any social media so I was moving in with no prior knowledge of these two other than their names Victoria Brooks and Chloe Whitlock. I wanted to get to know them and get to know the area I'd be living in for the next two years. So it was pretty inconvenient for this shit to happen on the first fucking night.

I was the first one to arrive. My parents and my sister Lindsey helped me move in, while my brother Chris stayed at home. Afterwards, they left to fly back home since both my parents had work the following day.

Victoria and Chloe, moved in at the same time. I think they drove here together so there was no awkward, drawn out goodbye to their parents like I had. I was crying, Mom was crying, Lindsey was crying, Dad was trying not to cry but I saw his lip quiver as he asked me if I was sure I had my insulin and my stun gun for the fiftieth time.

First impression of Chloe, an absolute angel, and looks like one too. I was anxiously awaiting to actually meet the two of them but her vibrant bubbly energy set me at ease. Light green dazzling eyes and the shiniest golden blonde hair I've ever seen in my life, no frizz in sight. We spent hours together talking and laughing about random shit. Previous relationships or friend drama, our favorite tv shows, singers, and whatever else. We clicked instantly.

As for Victoria. She's gorgeous as well but quite frankly, she frightens me. It's not that she was mean or anything, she was actually pretty quiet she's just very intimidating. She's one of those people where she walks in and you know- don't piss her off. Her dark clothes matched her dark brown, nearly black hair and deep brown eyes that without even trying seem to naturally stare daggers.

I offered to help both Victoria and Chloe to move things in, only Chloe took me up on that. Victoria just said, "No, I got it." I loved her English accent but I was afraid to say anything and I figured being in America she probably gets comments about her accent all the time, I could imagine it's tiring. Aside from those four words it was radio silence for hours until we started to lightly pregame while we got ready. She didn't contribute much to the conversation, I did catch her glaring at me a whole bunch but I just accepted it. Her whole vibe seemed like she'd rather be anywhere else but here.

I ended up straightening my shoulder blade length, dark brown hair for the night and put on a semi- old black backless dress. I should've prepared more, it's Miami clubbing but I figured I'd have all the time in the world to go shopping throughout the semester. I grabbed my little purse so I can put my cards, some cash, and my mini stun gun in there. A gift from my dad and he made me promise to always take it out with me for extra security. I switched out my real ID with my fake since I won't be 21 till November, but according to this I'm 23 and a resident of Pennsylvania.