Chapter 36: insecurity and desperation

Victoria Brooks

Standing in my dark room I look through old photos of mine to distract myself from Morgans distant sobs. She's been stopping and starting the entire day. I don't blame her, I did the same thing when Lucien first took me. I pick up one of my newer digital cameras and absentmindedly go through the photos and few videos in there. I haven't touched a camera since we left to go move into that apartment with Morgan. How short lived that was.

I trudge further down the hall, further away from Morgan's room on the opposite side. Heading towards the bar in the main living room- at least the one I use the majority of the time. I live in a palace, obviously it's huge and has far too many rooms for one person to own. I rarely go in the vast majority of them. I have a few I consider to be truly "mine" that I hang around in quite a bit. The rest my servants and guards use for themselves as rooms to hang out in or for the few that permanently reside inside the palace- rooms to live in.

I contemplate what to drink as I take mindless steps towards the room zoning myself out. My photos are my favorite distraction but they provide enjoyment and I don't think I'm deserving of experiencing any kind of enjoyment right now. Do I enjoy drinking? Yes, but it'll take a lot and therefore a while before I reach a point of emotional numbness. So prior I'll still be wallowing in my life choices.

I stop, motionless when I hear faint voices coming from the living room- fuck. The instant Luciens bone chilling voice is heard I turn on my heels preparing to walk away. "Victoria, why don't you come in." He calls out to me before I could leave. Shit.

I silently sigh then drag my feet into the room. "Hello father." I glance over at Grayson leaning against my bar, drinking my liquor. "Grayson." I acknowledge the twat.

"I was just about to leave." Lucien says and internally I'm celebrating. He turns to the hybrid prick. "I will send for you once I'm told that all of Danes nobles and any loyalists are dead. Shouldn't be long now."

"Thank you." Grayson nods.

"Jacob will be arriving any moment now and your Pierce will be here by dusk tomorrow." He says Pierces name with a scowl and I keep my excitement internal.

"And you will never put a hand on him again." I add, reiterating that aspect of our deal.

"I'm a man of my word. He won't be touched." He says. "Now, I'm trusting you with a lot. Don't disappoint me." He says trying to sound like a reassuring father but the lack of any kind of warmth in his eyes and smile makes that sentence as threatening as he intended.

"I won't."

"I will be getting her once Kendrick is properly dealt with." He mentions again.

"I actually had a few ideas about how to deal with him effectively, father." I say as I tightly clasp my hands together in front of me. "If you'd like I can share them with you."

He tilts his head in contemplation. "Call me and we'll go over them." He says before walking out of my living room. I continue standing still with my hands tightly clenched together, remaining in complete silence so I could listen to his every footstep getting further and further away from me.

"We did it." Grayson says all cheery as he pours himself another drink. I nod, keeping my composure.

Whatever was the closest bottle to me, I reach for, unscrewing it and drinking deeply while I listen to Lucien leave the premises with his nobles. In my peripheral Grayson stares at me with a stupid smirk on his face in direct opposition of the frown twisting on my face. I put the bottle down listening to the doors on Luciens trucks shut, and the ignition turn on.