Chapter 11: bandaged up and feeling stupid

Morgan Sinclair

"I took away your bloodlust." Dane says keeping his normal calm composure but his eyes are riddled with anxiety.

"Not that meddling in peoples minds is great but what's so bad about that? And why does that mean I'm gonna be feral like- tomorrow." I ask, quoting Victoria.

"When it first happened I only thought it was for the best. Another way to keep you hidden but the more I thought about it over the years I just... I invaded in your mind. Fucked around with stuff that I don't know the full repercussions of. I mean your mind didn't think it needs blood but your body needing something desperately to survive but never knowing what it is. Maybe I'm overthinking it and it wasn't as much of a disconnect as I think it is. And maybe Vic's right that I am just overreacting-."

"You are." Victoria adds in.

He shoots her a look before turning back to me. "I feel terrible about it, I had every intention of telling you but I thought you'd... I don't know hate me for it."

"I don't hate you. I think it would've been really odd if nothing about me appeared to be a vampire but I randomly craved blood. I don't think I'd be here right now I'd be a permanent resident at my local psych ward." I chuckle, trying to cover up my uneasiness about this entire situation. "I was disconnected to my whole body but I wouldn't credit that with this one thing." There's a mountain of shit that contributed to the wrongness I felt my entire life.

"Morgan I am genuinely so sorry."

I shrug. "Dane you're fine, don't worry. I didn't really have a chance to have a normal existence, to begin with did I?" I say and my heart twists in my chest as that sentence leaves my mouth. "Taking away my bloodlust is just another thing. Victoria's right it's not a big deal."

"Still, I was responsible for taking away a huge aspect of what you are. And for that I'm sorry."

"I forgive you." I say sincerely. I don't fault him for any of what I felt. My whole life is kind of a shit show but I blame my supposed biological parents for that. "Now what about me being feral?"

"You're not gonna be feral." He slides a glare over to Victoria. "Your bloodlust is just going to flood in a lot quicker because it's not a spell or a curse, it's a manipulation of the mind. I'm only a High Royal and given what you are it technically shouldn't of even worked but in conjunction with the spells making you essentially human. It did."

"Being a High Royal changes how effective the mind control is?"

"Kind of." Victoria answers. "Lucien has a superior version of our ability. Which I assume you know about his fun little power?"

I nod yes, unfortunately I do. "How are your- our powers inferior?" I correct myself.

"When Lucien was a celestial he used to be able to get into and manipulate literally anyones mind. Human, lesser Celestials, lycan, witch. Anyone. Now- he can see into the minds of High Royals, but it's a struggle. It physically hurts him." He explains. "Turned vampires, lycans, witches- he can see into their minds with ease. And if they're weak enough he can get into their heads, not explicitly control them but sort of convince them to do things."

"I assume he can outright control humans?"

"Yes. As can we." Victoria half smiles. "Makes our lives much easier than the rest."

I can only imagine what she does with that kind of ability.

"Sure." Dane says staring blankly at Victoria. "We can control humans, get in their heads, manipulate them. If we try hard enough we can get into other vampires and such. It hurts though."