Chapter 6: sobbing silently is a talent

Morgan Sinclair

Sleep refused to grace me with its presence. My mind ran a million miles an hour, my legs still felt weirdly tingly, and my gunshot wound remained sore as all hell. I checked the bandage, peeling it back to reveal a bruised and already scabbing wound, not the relatively fresh bullet wound it should be. Just another thing to add to my spiral.

There's no way my parents- my entire family isn't my family. That was my biggest issue here. The whole vampire thing was definitely an issue but I didn't fully believe it, at least when it came to me. But my family are my family, they can't just not be. And how horrible would my supposed biological parents be, for one to hide me for 20 years, give me to random people, warp their minds, literally curse me, then leave. And the other... Be someone I had to be hid from for 20 years.

And a curse? Or several of them? Or were they spells? Maybe both?

So then witches exist. Of course, along with the celestials and vampires and probably werewolves, and mermaids, maybe even Santa and the Easter Bunny as well.

I'm not a vampire. I freely walk in the sun- I don't particularly like the sun because I burn quickly- fuck. Okay, so there's that but I see myself in mirrors. I've been to church and I didn't burst into flames or start screeching or something-.

The sound of the door opening cuts off my train of thought. I was expecting Chloe to enter, she came in about 10 minutes after I left the living room to take away the IV pole and the nearly empty special blood bag thing. Apparently there was only one of these existence and it was given to Dane as a in case of emergency type thing- it's supposed to be an antagonist to the spells and curses- God I sound insane. Instead Dane was at the door. "Hi." He said monotonously. "I wasn't sure if you'd be awake."

Dane. He's supposedly my brother? And Victoria's my sister?

"Yeah it's only-." I look over at the clock on the nightstand to my right. "4:32 am?" I didn't realize I've been up this long.

"Right." He stepped through the door completely and walked over to the small recliner chair in the corner of the room. He hesitantly sat down. "I'm sure you're confused about probably a lot right now."

"No, not at all."

He forces a chuckle to break through his anxious front. "You have to know all of this was not supposed to go this way. We were going to slowly introduce you to all of it, you transition while you went to school. You live your life and we just protect and help you."

"While I'm living with all of you."

"If you were living with humans, you'd be a danger to them." He says casually.

My face drops, "I would never hurt anyone."

"I'm not saying you would. You just haven't experienced... craving blood yet. Not just craving- needing, wanting. It's hard to control at first. It's easy to lose it and accidentally hurt someone."

I stare frozen, unsure what to do with that. I know I would never hurt anyone. I mean I apologize to people when they bump into me. Can't imagine I'd jump from that to draining people of blood.

Dane clears his throat. "I wanted to talk to you about Aurelia and what was done to you."

I close my eyes and clench my jaw for a brief couple of seconds. I guess we're gonna add more content for my mind to fuck itself up with. I open my eyes. "Okay. What did she do?"

"She told me that there's a handful of spells on you and two curses. They're wearing off as we speak but they're there. The spells were to do more minor things like fine tuning some stuff, glamouring your eye color so if it changes- no one, not even you can see it. There were a lot of spells to prevent anyone from using any kind of locator spell to find you. Um... also sunlight, you'd have the ability to walk in the sun but not that long- you might actually kind of hate the sun." He explained.