Chapter 18: North Carolina

Morgan Sinclair

Dane hot wired one of the hunters' vans parked around back and we all hurried into it. With Dane at the wheel, Grayson brought me to the passenger seat, then hopped in the back with Chloe. The both of them watching a captured Mercer.

I spend the majority of the time in the van zoned out, staring into the side mirror glaring at Mercer. I didn't mean to fixate on him but unfortunately I could see him clearly through the mirror. His malicious stare and callous grin infuriates me more and more with every passing minute. I feel it in every inch of my body. An overwhelming anger.

I'm not a violent person. I've never been in a fight. I've never even really raised my voice at someone aside from assholes in clubs or bars. I'm not violent yet right now my mind fills with a long list of absolutely barbaric things I want to do to him. If I wasn't exhausted to the point that I really can't move I don't think I'd be able to stop myself from doing half of them. I don't think I'd even want to. Maybe Mercer was kind of right about me.

"How are you feeling?" I hear Grayson after a long stint of silence. Mercer was rambling on about something before but Chloe punched him in the face knocking him out again which did bring a small smile to my face. She had to do that a couple more times since he kept waking up oddly quick. Each time he got hit was a tiny boost of dopamine in my system.

"Great." I say.

"I'm trying to see if you have sage poisoning." He raises his voice sounding like he's straining himself. "They shot you with a good amount of it remember?" He says in a lower volume, correcting his tone.

"That's what this is?"

"Yes it's toxic to vampires, so what exactly are you feeling physically?" He asks.

"Tired."

"Only tired?" He questions.

"Only tired." I mumble.

I fell asleep for a while and woke up in a cold sweat while we pulled up to a house that- maybe I'm too tired but it doesn't look like Chloe's house. I tried to open the car door but I felt like my limbs weighed a thousand pounds so when the door opened up I flopped out of it.

I accepted that I was about to fall to the ground but I was quickly caught by someone. I see the boots in front of me, looking up slowly to the view of Grayson. "Got you." He says lowly.

I'm standing but only because Graysons propping me up. My actual legs are about as stable as mental state. Suddenly Grayson leans down, his arm slides under my legs lifting me up.

All my senses keep surging between non existent and excessive. While I hear nothing at the moment and my vision is blurry, my other senses are working overtime. I grab onto his shoulder and curl into his worryingly hot chest, ambushed by his vanilla and mahogany scent, which would be pleasant except it's attacking me right now. It feels like I've just spent the last two hours sniffing everything in a candle store and gave myself a splitting headache.

I start to hear muffled voices around me but I can't fully make them out. He walks me into a dark room, laying me down on a bed but I wince feeling the sharp burn of the sage in my back as I lay. His soft hand gently brushes the hair off of my face, tucking it behind my ear. "Chloe is there any blood here?" I hear muffled from Grayson.

"I'll go check." Chloe's silhouette leaves the room.

"Why does it burn?" I murmur.

"Sage is a bitch." There's a blur of a delicate smile on his face.

"Got it." Chloe rushes over to me, ripping off the top of a blood bag bringing it to my lips. The refrigerated cold blood pours into my mouth, cooling down the burning to some degree.