Chapter 2: is she dead?

Chloe Whitlock

The empty and music-less club was uncomfortable to stand in as the laser lights continued to be the only source of light and the only sounds were distant death rattles or groaning. Right as I yanked the obsidian knife from my stomach and shoved it right into the hunters throat I looked to Morgans body slam against the bar then down to the floor unmoving. I winced at both the echoing loud sound of her body hitting the floor and the unhealed wounds all over me that stung every time I moved. Given all the sage these hunters had laced their weapons and bullets with, I wasn't healing as fast as I should be.

I had a semi healed stab wound in my stomach, a gunshot wound to my leg, along with several cuts over my body and face. I'm a good fighter- a great one but I was drunk and they really caught us off guard this time.

How did they even know we were here?  How did they know who Morgan is?

Despite hearing several gun shots go off moments before I had hoped Victoria would've caught her but I assumed the gunshots were for her. This scene of Victoria on the ground nursing several gunshot wounds and Morgan lying on the floor unconscious had me drawing blood as I bit the inside of my cheek.

A stray bloodied hunter stumbled onto the club floor. She raises her gun at Morgan's body but before she could pull the trigger I sprint over and grab it firing two shots into her chest. Tossing the gun to the floor I let out a shaky exhale and quickly tear my eyes away from her fatal bleeding wounds. 

I really hate killing people. If I could never do it again I'd be thrilled but with the life I live it's unfortunately unavoidable. I just hate how easy it is for me to do it. I always feel terrible afterwards, even if they were out to kill us. I refuse to feed on them- I can't- but it seems like anything else goes. It makes sense given the whole vampire thing, violence goes hand in hand with it but I wish it didn't.

I've grown complacent with a lot of things over the years but the violence and death is something I've never truly gotten used to. I've tried on several occasions to not care, hoping that if I didn't it'd alleviate the guilt constantly blanketing me. I could never manage that though. So I thought: fake it till you make it, but I never made it, nor am I good at faking it. I'll never be perfectly fine with killing or harming someone in any way even if it is "in my nature."

Kneeling down next to Morgan's unconscious body, I roll her over so she's face up. Blood continued pouring from the gunshot wound on her shoulder so I pressed down on it with my hands. "Is she dead?" Victoria grits her teeth as she continues pulling bullets out of her body.

"No, her hearts still beating just really faint." I say relived but terrified. "Where are the guys?"

"Grayson and Dane were getting rid of the assholes in the lounge. Kellan was getting his truck." Victoria winces pulling out the last bullet flinging it to the floor.

"Why his truck?"

"If hunters found us or more importantly her. We gotta leave now." Victoria says walking over grimacing. "How the fuck did they know who she is?"

Before I could answer Dane sprinted in here, practically appearing in front of me on the other side of Morgan.  "Thank God she's still alive." He lowly says with a deep relieved exhale. "Grab her legs let's get her out of here."