Chapter 34: I have his eyes

Morgan Sinclair

Out of Chloe's room I go to the last place I saw him; the den at the far end of the house. He sits at the bar running his hand through his dark brown hair on his with his other hand on an empty glass. I remain in the doorway just looking at him as an involuntary smile forms on my face.

I shouldn't feel this way about him. I shouldn't be looking at him with a smile. He's wild and careless, he feeds on humans like they're nothing, and he kills people. Any sane person would be revolted enough to walk away and never look back. But I find myself wanting to be around him more and more each day. I've never felt freer than whenever I'm with him- I don't have to feel bad or feel guilty over the things I do or want to do. I don't know if it's dangerous or beautiful; the way I feel about him. The way I feel like me when I'm with him.

He finally acknowledges my presence, turning his head to face me. He stands up leaving his glass on the bar counter, "I didn't realize we'd be leaving so soon."

"No, we're not leaving now. I think in like a half hour maybe?" I have no idea when we're going to be honest. My brain has tried so hard to ignore the way my body reacts to his eyes on me. The way my heart pumps wildly in his presence then subtly aches when he leaves.

"Do you want a drink? I promise no talk of blood or death or anything like that." He holds up his hands briefly then returns them to his sides. "Scotch good?"

"No." I say gazing into his blue eyes that have only tightened their grasp on me since I first saw them.

His lips press together. "Alright then what do you want?" He motions to the bar behind him.

I walk towards him only an arms length away, never tearing my eyes away from him. The closer I get the stronger the magnetic pull towards him feels. "I want to prove you wrong." I say. The air crackled with tension as those words lingered in the air. Thrill flashed in his alluring eyes along with a flicker of vulnerability like he lowered his guard for me and only me to see.

As if he's been waiting and ready for this since that night he swiftly grabs my waist pulling me into him. Our lips press against each other and I take his face into my hands. His hands slide down under my thighs lifting me up and placing me on top of the bar- his lips never leaving mine. I smile against him, letting my pure contentment in this moment surface as the world around me melts away leaving only the two of us. His vanilla and mahogany scent, his taste, his warm built body against mine, his hands tightening their grip around my thighs. The passion and tenderness I feel from him as his lips glide over mine, my legs wrap around his waist pulling him closer into me pressing his hardness against me.

"Everyone, we're going!" Kellan yells out from the front of the house, startling us.

As we pull back, our stare flickers between each others' eyes or lips. "Do you think he did that on purpose?" His lips upturn.

I laugh, "It's possible." He steps back from me and I get off the bar, already missing his touch but reveling in the lingering taste of him on my lips. "I'll prove you wrong tomorrow."

With a small smile on his face he looks me over and for a brief moment there's a distance in his eyes. "I'll hold you to that."

I questioned if how I felt about him was either dangerous or beautiful but I think it's both. Dangerous; how much I already feel for him, how he scares me, how with him I feel safe to explore the parts of myself that have lied dormant for 20 years. Knowing all that being a vampire entails- that's a risky thing. But beautiful; how much I already feel for him, how I feel comfortable to unapologetically be me in his presence.

He draws out my light and dark, and his gaze never falters at the sight of either.

These last three months have taken a toll on my mental and physical health. I've cried more than I've cried in my whole life, I've questioned my sanity, and I've been so uncertain about every choice I make and everything I do. But now with 100% certainty I know that I don't want to be without him.