Chapter 9: conform, comply, compromise

Morgan Sinclair

A feeling I could only describe as someone hitting me repeatedly in the head with a steel pipe, abruptly woke me up. Flopping over in bed with my face half buried in a pillow I check the clock. 5:10am.

I lowly but dramatically groan while getting out of bed as my body aches with every movement. Groggily shuffling to the kitchen, my bare feet hitting the ice cold tile wakes me up a bit. The glow of the lights under the cabinets faintly illuminates the area. I open the large fridge door that stands taller than me searching for a water bottle when the sight of several blood bags lined up on one of the shelves catches my eye. My muscles tense and my mouth begins to water which brings a disgusted scowl to my face. I have a sinking feeling that one would cure my headache. Not even one whole one, just a little bit.

Impulsively I grab one, feeling the cold baggy in my hand and all thoughts fell silent in my head. I don't know how long I was staring at it but I snap out of it to the sound of the front door opening and faint voices. With haste I put the blood bag back and grab the water bottle.

Grayson stumbles past with a girl hanging onto him. My heart jumps out of my chest and I close the door preparing to sprint to my room to avoid whatever this is. The sound of the fridge door closing, alerts him. Fuck. He looks up in my direction when I notice it- he was biting her. His mouth is covered in blood, fangs bared- he has so many of them. Canines on the top and bottom rows, incisors, premolars all sharpened and lethal. He stumbles closer to me with the half conscious girl, and with every step the heavy alcohol smell gets stronger but the blood... pins and needles erupted all over my skin, some innate need urging me towards it. In the faint light I see his eyes. The whites of them black, with bright silver irises.

"Would you like to join?" He asks.

The intrusive thoughts that just flashed in my mind, or I don't even know if calling them intrusive thoughts would be correct. Regardless whatever they are, they scared the shit out of me. Split second or not- how could I think like that?

"Absolutely not." I say looking back and forth between his fangs and eyes.

His fangs retracted, and his eyes switched back to their usual blue. "You hesitated." A crooked smile appears on his face as he points at me.

"I did not."

He lets out an empty chuckle and drops his hand back down. "It's nothing to be ashamed of. Have some if you'd like." He slurs slightly and holds the girl out to me as if she's a thing to be shared.

"Have some? She's a person." I told.

"She's food."

"You're disgusting."

"That wasn't nice but I'm going to let it slide because you don't fully get it yet. Goodnight Morgan." He licks his lips, walking away with the girl.

"What are you going to do to her?" Dammit Morgan, ignorance is bliss.

He stops and turns to me. "Probably take her into the backyard, drain her with the lovely view, then maybe go for a swim."

"I'm serious."

"Who said I was joking?"

"You can't just-."

"Yes I can. And I will." He cuts me off, narrowing his eyes. "And you're going to do nothing."

"Grayson."

"Go back to your room. Now." His eyes shift to their menacing black and silver. "Goodnight Morgan." He says firmly. Frozen in fear I watch him walk away with the woman on his arm. He's really going to kill this woman and I am standing here utterly useless. I should go save her- rip her away from him, fight him off, I should call Chloe or Dane or Kellan. God, even calling 911 would be something- not smart but something. But no I stand here like an idiot holding my stupid water bottle.