Chapter 24: lectures

Grayson Spencer

"You're not drunk right?" Morgan asks stumbling over to the car door in the vacant parking lot.

"Not in the slightest." I say opening up her door and she gets in like she's never been in a car before, flopping into the seat. Shaking my head with a quick chuckle, I close the door walking around to get in the drivers side.

"Are you sure? You were drunk."

I pull my door shut. "Emphasis on were. If I was drunk I wouldn't drive. I'm not that evil." I joke putting the keys in the ignition turning the car on.

"So murder is okay but you draw the line at drunk driving."

"Yes, I have standards." I also don't want to ruin my cars. Not that I care about this car specifically but car accidents are a hassle.

She giggles drunkenly. "I don't believe that though." She says while I pull out of the parking lot, beginning our drive back.

"That I have standards?"

"No that you're 'evil'." She puts the word in air quotes.

"I'm shocked." I dramatically gasp. "I thought for sure Kellan would've told you every horror story about me he could think of."

"I mean he has." She says. I nod, of course he has. He's practically obsessed with me, I think he can list the names of everyone I've killed in alphabetical order. "They all pretty much have said something- except Chloe."

"Ah yes my sister and her rose colored glasses."

"Yeah well, I too tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Especially since words like evil and monster are being thrown around." She says monster like that word was poison in her mouth. Like saying it offended her. "Also I just don't really believe in that."

"Believe in what?"

"The whole good- evil thing. It's very black and white but really it's all just one big... grey area." She waves her hands around attempting to represent said big grey area. "I don't know, I guess I always try to find a reason or an explanation for why people do the things they do." She says but stumbles over a few words.

"An explanation or an excuse?"

"For some people those are the same thing."

"Some?"

"Yeah. Well you wouldn't be part of those some. I don't think you look to excuse yourself. You outwardly seem secure in who you are and what you do"

"I am."

"Well I said outwardly seem but we all have like... a mask."

I quirk an eyebrow at her. "You think I'm wearing a mask?" I question.

"Everyone is." She says matter of factly. "And yes definitely you."

"Definitely me?"

"Yes, it's an infuriating mask but it's very transparent."

"If we're talking transparent we should talk about you." I turn it around on her.

"I'm not transparent." Funny.

I scoff. "Oh please it's like looking through a window."

She leans over the middle console posting her chin on her hand, staring up at me with those bright hazel eyes of hers making me unconsciously smile. "How so?"

"You tend to show off this- nice, quiet, permissive kind of person. But I think you have this whole other part of you that you actively shut out. I don't know why- maybe you don't like it. Or maybe you're scared of it."