Chapter 22: colorless Rubik's cubes

Morgan Sinclair

I don't know how long I've been out when I slowly open my eyes to the dim lighting in my room. Distant chatter fills the silence but I focus on the shallow labored breathing. Grayson.

A small dizzy spell hits when I rush to sit up in bed too quickly. The memory of Grayson biting my neck and my significant blood loss comes back to me. I touch my hand to my wound feeling a bandage in its place, still hurts to the touch nowhere near healed.

I get out of bed making my way through the unnecessarily confusing maze that is this house. Following the sound of that breathing I find the room that Grayson is laying down in.

Whatever my initial facial expression was I shove down keeping a relatively blank one instead. I attempt to shove down everything I'm feeling on the inside but walking into this room the air seems to have been sucked out of my lungs. Close to him now, he looks like he's near death. His under eyes have been wiped but there are faint trails as a remnant of the blood that had rolled down his cheeks. He looks paler- grey, really.

"Hey." He breathes out, with a faux smile.

"Hey." I say, stepping closer to him giving me an up close view of the pooling of blood in the rims of his eyes. He's shaking like he's freezing but he has a thin layer of sweat coating him.

He drags his shaking hand over to an empty spot on the bed next to him. "Sit."

As he drags his hand back I sit down carefully. Worried I somehow might hurt him. "Do you need anything?" I ask.

"No." He says just looking at me. His weary eyes look over my entire face then he spots the bandage on my neck. He reaches up and touches the bottom of the bandage gently.

He closes his eyes and clenches his jaw. "I did that?" He asks, already knowing the answer.

"You didn't know."

He opens his eyes- his jaw still tensed. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay it'll heal."

"Lycan bites take longer to heal."

"It'll heal eventually." I smile. "Hey, you got to finish off what you were gonna do the first night." I say trying to lighten to mood.

He laughs but the tiredness and frailty to it had my chest tightening. "I wasn't gonna feed off you. I don't do that in human clubs. You just bumped into me. That guy was being a prick and I thought you were beautiful."

I don't know why hearing that he thought I was beautiful has my cheeks warming. "You were who I bumped into." I say, remembering how I jerked back from that asshole and stumbled into the person next to me.

"A fortunate accident don't you think?" He says with a smile before breaking out into a coughing fit. Turning to the side so he coughs into the pillow, staining it with blood. I reach over to the nightstand grabbing a tissue, there's nothing I can do about the blood stained pillow so I wipe the corner of his mouth and bottom lip clean of any blood. His crystal blue eyes look me up and down inquisitively. He's always doing that- examining me, except most times I have to look away as his stare pierces me.

"Can I talk to you?" Kellan's voice calls out behind me snapping me out of this. I turn, seeing him stand in the doorway with his arms crossed.

"Right now?" I motion to a sickly Grayson with my eyes.

"Yes." He answers sternly.

I furrow my brow, tossing the tissue in the small trash can next to the bed. "I'll be right back." I say to Grayson.