Chapter 35: alone

Morgan Sinclair

My eyes open to foreign surroundings and the harsh light of reality reminding me of the predicament I'm in. Feeling around at the couch I lay on, set in the center of the room across from another matching couch. A pool table sits behind me in front of a well stocked and expensive looking bar. I have no idea where I am and after what had just occurred prior to my spell of unconsciousness I don't want to stick around to find out.

Sluggishly standing up from the couch I go over to the door, to my surprise- unlocked. I fling it open, sprinting with everything in me trying to find some exit. Listening for outdoor sounds- wind, rain, bugs, cars, anything.

Following the sound of a breeze I managed to catch- I find two towering metal double doors, opening it up to feel the brisk morning air hit me. The sun is barely out, having not completely risen yet so I have time before I'd burst into flames. The moment of relief ends as a hand grabs the back of my shirt yanking me back and onto the floor. Victoria slams the door shut. "What the fuck are you trying to do?"

"Leave obviously." I stand up.

"You're in my territory, you wouldn't make it that far." She crosses her arms.

"Had to try." Victoria has never been a person I turn to for comfort or warmth or anything but I grew to trust and like her despite her stony self. She is my sister. When I'd look at her, I had this sense that she would be the type of person who in a great time of need would help in any way she can. Now looking at her all I see is a two faced bitch.

"Don't. That's how you end up dead. Do not test him." She widens her eyes a bit. Her eyes flick over my shoulder motioning to something behind me. Before I can get a look at who she motioned to both my arms are seized.

The two manhandle me, dragging me down down a long hallway. The metal intricately designed door groans as Victoria opens it ushering me in. The two shove me into this vast gold and black room, with ruby red accents all over the place. Ornate details fill every inch of this place, imposing columns line the sides leading up to a grand throne- gold with ruby accents at the center on a slightly raised platform than the floor I'm on right now. I make an attempt to sprint back out the door but that attempt is quickly put to an end by a hand around my throat. I lock eyes with those hair raising hazel eyes of the man currently strangling me. "Trying to flee again would be an easy way to end up like your traitorous bitch of a mother." He reprimands then shoves me down to the floor.

Standing up on my jell-o like legs I try to tamp down my debilitating anxiety and fear. Suddenly all too aware of myself and everything I'm doing. My shaky legs and trembling hands bring a scowl to Luciens face. All eyes are on me but only his seem to make me feel like I'm so incredibly small. Standing all around me at attention is what I'm assuming to be Victoria's and Lucien's people staring at me fully ready to halt any and all efforts to escape. In the center of the room Victoria stands with Grayson. My chest tightens at the sight of him.

"As I was saying, I've made the call. They'll all be taken care of." Lucien says walking away from me as he slides his phone in his pocket.

"Who?" Victoria asks, standing all too stiff and rigid with her hands behind her back.

"Your brothers nobles." Lucien states, his sharp stare shifts to Grayson. "Once they're cleared out along with any loyalists. I'll handle your accession."

"How long will that take, Your Majesty?" Grayson asks suddenly with this regal sounding tone and energy. The shift in his person makes my mouth unwittingly downturn at the falseness of it all. Or maybe this is the truth and the rest has been an act.

"Not long. I owe you a great debt for giving me my daughter, this will be done quickly and right."

"What exactly is he getting?" I blurt out- not entirely meaning to speak up but between my curiosity and my anger I need to know what he gave me up to him for.