Chapter 31: 117 Years

Chloe Whitlock

Slowly but surely I make my way to the houses office fighting off the sage attacking my body. I think literally an ounce more and I'd have sage poisoning. Thank God I don't I cannot even begin to say how inconvenient that would be in this very moment; My entire body constantly burning and worsening with every touch to it, hallucinations, a hunger that physically cannot be satisfied, tremors, sensitivity with all senses, dizziness, and fatigue to the point of passing out. I've had it 3 times in my life and each time was as horrible as the last. Being a High Royal has its perks, a big one is that it takes a lot- and I mean a lot to give us sage poisoning.

Leaning against the desk I wait for my head to stop spinning so I can make the phone call. If I tell him we're coming he won't bother us but showing up unannounced and with Morgan? He'll have a fit. It's better to just tell him. I go to the keypad to type memorized number but before I could my phone gets snatched out of my hands.

Dane strides to the end of the room. "Dane give it back." I reach for it but he's already too far and raising my arms took a lot out of me. He swipes through something, staring at my phone for a couple of seconds.

His eyes flash red quickly returning to their default hazel. Turning the phone off and tossing it on the desk, he brings his hands up to his face, rubbing it in clear distress. His hands drop to his sides as he leans back against the wall with his piercing gaze locks on me. "603 years and he still has this hold on you." He laughs. "I shouldn't be laughing but oh fucking well. Nothing really matters anymore." He holds his arms outstretched then lets them fall to his sides.

"What are you talking about?"

He rubs the bridge of his nose. "You're many things Chloe but you're not dumb. I know that number."

"What number?"

"Kendricks." He points to my phone laying on the desk. My face falls. "You were too eager to call him. I had a sinking feeling but I was really hoping I was just being overly paranoid." He gets off the wall and begins pacing. "I wasn't sure how we were getting found out. No one knows about her and we were in places that no one could have known about. I was careful. Victoria was careful. Few hiccups here and there but we were all careful. Convenient how the dates of your phone calls to him are around the times we got attacked."

I shake my head. My father is capable of doing horrible things but he wouldn't try to have one of the Fallens children killed that would create a whole list of problems that I know he would not want to deal with.

"Does he know about Morgan?" He asks stopping his pacing and staring dead at me, his eyes have gone scarily blank. Reminiscent to the days that I'd see him first hand playing his part of Luciens ruthless monster of a son.

"Dane." I say all too low as a plead.

"Does he know?!" He shouts.

"Yes." I lower my head.

"Dammit Chloe!" He yells. "Morgan was a secret. She's supposed to stay that way but she can't if you're off telling your father every fucking thing you do! He's not going to love you or give you attention, you're just fucking us over for no reason." He raged, saying all the right things to make my heart sink to my stomach joining the knots forming in it. "Why wouldn't you tell me that you've told him about Morgan? You knew it was a bad idea right?"

"No, he-." I try to claw for some confidence within but fail to do so. I grab onto my own hands to stop their trembling. "He didn't fully believe our cover because I would be with you and Victoria. He demanded to know the truth. Why I was traveling with this specific group of people."

"And you just told him. Really Chloe?!"

"He didn't casually ask me what I was doing and you know that." I take an unintentionally shaky breath. "I had to." I assert.