Chapter 20: PEMDAS

Chloe Whitlock

Mercer struggles against his chains and as a newbie those chains must feel like sandpaper against his skin. Noticing us all entering his large holding cell. He grunts like a rabid dog trying one last time to break his chains off. Nothing.

We all stand in front of Mercer making a semi circle around him. Morgans stands a bit further back than the rest of us with a completely blank face aside from her eyes- a glimpse into something dark and unforgiving.

"Try his head again." I say to Dane.

He tries to get inside of Mercers head but immediately grabs at his own head in pain. "Strong spell."

"As I said, I'm not letting you see anything." Mercer growls. His shaky breaths and slight trembles challenge his attempt at appearing stable and strong. The hunger ravaging his body, burning and tormenting him with the knowledge that just a little bit of blood would relieve him of those afflictions. Except it never is just a little bit, is it?

"Alright now that we've done that can I have my fun now?" Grayson asks excitedly.

"Go ahead." Dane holds his hand out in Mercers direction as he steps back.

"I'm not telling you anything you're going to have to kill me." Mercer shouts.

Grayson smiles as he takes the blood bag he was holding behind his back bringing it in view. The sight of which has his heart beating rapidly. Mercers eyes follow the bag the whole time as Grayson waves it around, laughing as his eyes trace the path of the bag- completely entranced by it.

He stalks over to him, shaking the blood bag out in front of him. "Newly turned vampire? That cravings gotta be awful. Right?" Grayson sticks a blood bag in his face. "You want it?"

"No." He says as he grinds his teeth.

"Your red eyes, say otherwise." He holds up the tiny mirror I gave him to Mercer's face so he could see his brand new eyes. All the color left his face, I heard his heart skip a beat. He looks like he could cry. I almost feel bad. Emphasis on almost. Mercer and his people have terrorized all of us for a while, this is a long time coming. I normally feel terrible about hurting or killing people but some of the things he's done I wouldn't even think of doing even at my darkest. I lost all feeling towards him the second he targeted a building filled with vampires, lycans, witches, and humans- children, adults, everyone. He had 114 people killed that day, without even a hint of remorse. All to get back at my eldest brother Vaughn for killing one of his higher ranking men.

Graysons dangles the blood bag in front of him just out of his reach. "All you have to do is ask."

"What's the problem Mercer? You look a bit frazzled." Victoria snarks.

"Kill me." He says keeping an intense stare on the bag.

"Come on, you don't want a drink first? Or maybe you just wanna talk? Trade insults? Give me something here." Grayson shakes the blood bag in his face

He stays silent continuing to stare at the blood bag, as sweat begins to form at his hairline. "Suddenly you have nothing to say?" Morgan speaks out from behind all of us staring daggers into him as if she's hoping one of them will land and end him just from a look.

"Yeah, look who's quiet all of a sudden." Victoria tilts her head menacingly.

He's completely zoned us out, he's so hyper focused on the blood I don't think he can even hear us. Grayson pulls it away so it's next to his own face, bringing Mercers attention to him. "Please." Mercer exclaims, trying to lunge forward in his steel chair after the blood. Promptly realizing what he just said and did, he looks down at the ground in disgust. Newly turned vampires have almost zero control over themselves in the first few days, similar to Morgan.