Chapter 6: Third Date

5 years ago - the third date.

I held the blue dress up to my body, then the white one, then the blue one again.

I decided on the baby blue one.

I changed into it, already having my hair and make-up done.

Since my parents are going to be there, too, I have to be careful that they don't see me talking to Ezra.

"Lilac," my dad called from downstairs, telling me
it was time to go.

I made my way down the stairs, trying to fight the smile that wanted to form on my face.

As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I saw my dad standing there with a disgusted expression.

"Go change. You look like a fucking whore."

I scoffed, looking at him in disbelief.

"I'm not going to change, dad," I kept my tone kind. "I spent hours getting ready."

"Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?" he took a step closer to me, and I suddenly felt very small.

I accidentally spoke sarcastically instead of keeping it in my mind, "Just my dad."

He forced himself to smile.

"You wanna be funny now?" his voice sounded threatening. "Here, it's my turn to be funny."

My eyebrows lowered in confusion until he suddenly threw the hot coffee that was in his hand, onto my dress.

"What the fuck!" I yelled, pulling the fabric of the dress forward so that it would stop burning my skin. It was an excruciating pain.

"Now it looks like you have to change," he smiled contently.

My chest was red from the coffee, and my blue dress was now brown.

Tears formed in my eyes. Both from pain and anger.

"Go upstairs now. We'll be waiting in the car."

He turned on his heels as if nothing had happened, while I stood there in pain.

Tears fell down my cheeks.

I need to tell somebody about this.

I went back upstairs, and changed into the white dress. I stood in front of the mirror, sniffling, while I wiped the mascara stains on my cheeks.

Then I took a deep breath, and smiled in the mirror.

"Remember what Ezra told you would happen on the third date," I spoke to myself.

I flipped the light-switch off, and headed downstairs. My chest was still red, but I hoped Ezra wouldn't mind.

Once I was in the car, my dad drove as if nothing happened. Tapping his fingers against the steering wheel while driving.

I don't understand how he can do these things, and not feel bad at all.

I need to tell somebody.

When we arrived at the party, my parents quickly walked off without me.

I took a deep breath while I looked at the beautiful building. I can't believe Ezra can afford this, especially at only 20 years old.

I walked up the steps, my heels clicking against the stone. I had to tell the man at the door my name, before he let me in.

There were people everywhere, and everybody looked expensive. Designer suits and dresses, jewelry that shined brighter than the moon outside.