Chapter 30: Epilogue

1 month later - Sofia, Bulgaria.

I still hate flying. 

But with Ezra, it's not that bad.

We arrived a few days ago. He has been showing me the entire country, places he used to go as a kid, and he even showed me his old high school.

And after a long day of traveling, walking, and eating all the Bulgarian food I could, now we sit where we had gone last time. Watching the sunset, over a beautiful forest. 

The sun peaked through the horizon. Pink filled the sky, and shined down onto us. It wasn't summer anymore, so with the breeze, we needed to wear sweaters.

"We should come here every year," I proposed over the calming sound of the chirping birds.

It was so blissful. 

"We can come here whenever you want," he replied. "We can do anything in this world, whenever you want."

For the past month, everything has been calm. Nobody dares to challenge Ezra; leaving us to live peacefully. Well, most of the time. 

When I first arrived back in Portland months ago, I was terrified. It felt like my life was constantly in danger, and that anybody would be willing to end my life. But now? Things are different.

Nobody would ever go against Ezra now. After what happened a month ago, it was as if the energy shifted in the city. Everybody now would bow on the ground before him if he asked them to, because they know, his heart doesn't soften for anything besides me. 

"I want to show you something," he suddenly said.

I turned my head, watching him pull out two things from his pocket. The first thing made my heart squeeze in my chest - it was a golden replica of the Bulgarian rose I had gotten him the last time we were here.

"I wanted to have it forever," he told me. 

He handed it to me, along with a folded piece of paper. I asked him, "What's this?"

He looked hesitant to say, but did, "It's a letter I wrote you three years ago, when I didn't know where you were. I kept it this entire time, and thought you'd like to read it."

My mouth formed a smile in the beautiful nature around us. I slowly opened the crumbled piece of paper.

Dear Lilac,

It's been two entire years without you. Sometimes, when I haven't slept for a few days, I see you for a moment in my bed beside me. It's the only time I feel bliss.

I'm sorry for what I've done. I'd give anything in the world to see you; I'd give up every single thing I own.

I pray that one day, you'll love me. To find you is one thing, but for you to love me is another.

I pray that one day you fall as deeply in love with me, as I've fallen for you. 

If that's even possible.

I'll never stop searching for you. I'll never stop working to deserve your love.

My beautiful angel.

-Ezra.

I felt emotional looking at the note, knowing that for 5 entire years, his love for me never faded. He continued to love me unconditionally, in a way that's made my heart feel so full.

I put the note in my pocket. I'll take it to my grave.

"I love you, Lilac. So much," he grabbed my hand as the sunrise fell upon us.

I held his hand in mine, thinking about everything that has happened over the years. 

He looked back out at the sunrise, but I continued to look at his side profile for a moment. 

"Обичам те," I tell him.

[Translation: I love you.]

His eyes widen slightly as his head turns back toward me quickly. His mouth hung open for a few seconds, confusion covering his face. He finally spoke, "How do you know Bulgarian?"

"Been teaching myself. It's come in handy, once or twice," I spoke in a teasing tone, and I watched his face as he put it together that I had understood him the first time he told me. 

He shook his head and smirked, "You're unbelievable, Lilac."

I laughed, leaning forward and kissing him under the beautiful sunrise. I kissed him sweetly, out of love, not lust. I kept my face close to his after pulling away, my blue eyes locked on his brown ones.

"I love you," I said in English this time, my voice soft and my emotions raw. He continued staring into my eyes, both of us never looking away.

He asked quietly, "Real, or fake?"

My parted lips slowly turned up into a smile as I stared at the man I was in love with. The man that would do anything for me, and the man I'd do anything for. The one that would jump into a pitch black ocean to save my life. The one that ended the abuse from my father. The one that I'll love until the end of time. 

And I know what I'm about to say will make me his, forever. 

"Real."

The End.

Word count: 867

Thank you for reading. I love you.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

♡ 𝐈𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤, 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬. 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦. ♡