Chapter 10: Control

"What the fuck did you just say?" Ezra's voice was full of anger.

My blood felt like ice and my stomach dropped.

Why would somebody want me dead?

"Come hear for yourself," Martín took a step back.

Ezra began following him without hesitation, and I stood frozen for a moment.

Once I snapped out of it, I ran after them to see for my self.

A bloodied guy was on his knees in the living room. Blood dripped from his forehead and nose, and his clothes were covered in dirt.

"He managed to get past the security out front, but I caught him on my way out," Martín told us, and thats when I noticed his knuckles were red.

I watched as Ezra took a step toward the man.

"So, somebody put a bounty on Lilac?" Ezra asked the man.

He nodded profusely, looking tired as he did so.

"Who and why," Ezra demanded to know.

The man took a deep breath and spit some blood out on the floor before looking up.

"I don't know who," his voice was scratchy. "I just know the price."

"And what is it?" Ezra began to sound impatient.

"20 million dollars," the guy replied through blood-stained teeth.

My body tensed hearing the price. Ezra immediately turned to Martín, who had confusion written all over his face.

"That can't just be a coincidence," Martín rubbed the back of his neck.

Ezra's voice came out slow and deep, "Are you telling me that some fuck is using my own money to pay somebody to kill the most important thing in the world to me?"

"Nobody gives a fuck where the money comes from," the bloodied man spoke up. "But for 20 million, people are willing to do anything."

"Anybody that even goes fucking near her will die!" Ezra snapped, turning back to face the man on his knees.

And I just stood there. Feeling like the world was against me.

"Lilac," Ezra suddenly spoke. "Be a good girl and turn around, please."

Something about his tone told me I should listen to him.

I turned around, nervously playing with the ends of my wet hair.

"You, and anybody else that tries to hurt her, will meet the same fate," Ezra spoke slowly.

"W...what do you mean...No! Don't, please!" the man began to yell, followed by the sound of flesh getting cut.

My stomach turned at the noise. The man began choking on his own blood, until a thud hit the floor, followed by silence.

Ezra's warm hands touched my shoulders, and he leaned down so his lips were by my ear.

"I'll find out who did it, Lilac. I promise," he whispered.

"But until then, you need to stay inside," he told me, making my eyebrows lower.

I turned around to face him, and tried to ignore the blood splatter on his shirt.

"I'm not stupid, Ezra. I know it's dumb to go outside when somebody wants to kill me," I made my thinking clear. "But I shouldn't have to hide and fear for my life because of your obsession with me."

"In life, some things aren't fair. And my love is not fair. But I'd die before living without you," he argued.

My teeth clenched and I crossed my arms. I felt angry. Angry because Ezra controls my life. Angry because somebody now wants me dead because of him.