Chapter 13: Boyfriend

Ezra opened the barn door and gestured for me to enter first.

The smell of hay and the sound of horses moving around reached my ears before I even stepped in.

I entered the barn and saw 4 beautiful horses standing in stables. A white one, a black one, a light brown one, and a dark brown one. All of them look shiny, with beautiful hair. These horses were probably worth more than all of the money I'd ever had in my entire life. 

"They're so beautiful!" my smile was wide as I walked over to them. 

He told me, "Pick whichever one you want. They're all yours."

"Somebody takes care of them, right?" I asked as I approached the black one.

Sarcasm laced his voice as he replied, "No, I leave them here to starve and die."

I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, people come to take care of them daily," he answered as I touched the horse's soft hair.

I smiled as I looked up at it. I told him, "I want this one."

Ezra stepped in front of me, entering the stable with the horse. I watched as he grabbed the staddle off of the wall, and began putting it onto the horse.

"Which one are you gonna take?" I asked him as he began leading the horse out.

He looked at me over his shoulder as I followed him, "Do I look like I ride goddamn horses?"

"Yes," I nodded, just to annoy him. He rolled his eyes.

We exited the barn, and a dirt path with trees on both sides revealed itself. He told me, "I own this part, too."

The glow of the sunset lit up the sky and made the green trees look slightly orange. Ezra stopped walking, and so did the horse. He took a step back and said, "Let me help you up."

I walked over to the side of the horse, put my foot in the stirrup, and Ezra put his hands on my waist to help me up.

I swung my other leg around, putting my other foot in the stirrup. A smile formed on my face at how high up I was, and how I was finally doing something I had always wanted to. 

"Ready?" Ezra asked before doing anything, holding onto the reins. 

Once I nodded, he began walking, and the horse followed. I held onto the front of the staddle for balance, smiling widely as we began entering the forest. 

The horse was very well behaved, following Ezra along the path with no problems. Being on the horse under the pink sunset and breathing in the clean air made me completely forget about what had happened earlier at the restaurant. 

I felt free. I felt like I was living.

Ezra guided the horse around in the forest, but he kept taking glances at me. And every time he saw me smile, he did, too. 

After a little over a half-hour, I started to hear the sound of running water. My eyes followed the direction of where I heard it coming from, and my face lit up at what I saw. 

"Wait," I said to Ezra, and he stopped walking.

I hopped down, my feet landing on the dirt path. The last sunlight of the day danced through the trees, but it was clear it would be gone in a few minutes. 

I turned to look at the small waterfall, admiring the water that hit the rocks below. It was simple - but it was beautiful. 

"So?" Ezra came to stand beside me. "What do you think?"

"It's beautiful," I smiled up at him. "Thank you for buying me this place. Sometimes, you can be really sweet."

"Sweet?" he raised his eyebrows.