Chapter 17: Alive Again

There's no fucking way this is happening right now.

He stares at me. My heart pounds in my chest, my blood pressure skyrocketing. 

But when he stands from the chair, my heart doesn't just beat quickly. It stops. 

The second his foot leaves the ground to walk over to me, I turn. I push through the people dancing, standing, and drinking. My body feels hot as I start running toward the back exit that only employees use. 

A hard wall of flesh runs into me - well, I guess I run into it

"You had one fucking job. Stay hidden," Asher spat at me. 

Oh wow, really? I never thought of that before.

"Just let me leave. That seems to be your specialty," my words were laced with venom referencing the two other times.

His jaw tightened. 

"The runnings never going to end," he spoke over the music. "The only way this ends, is if you tell him you'll never love him."

I yelled out of frustration, knowing Ezra was close behind me, "Can you just fuck off! Move out of the fucking way, and let me leave again!"

"Again?" the voice of the killer himself spoke from behind me.

I couldn't bring myself to turn around. I couldn't bring myself to look at him.

But the way his cologne reached my nose made my fucking heart skip a beat.

"What the fuck does she mean again?" Ezra spat at Asher while pushing him against the wall.

I scolded, "Ezra. Don't cause a scene, people are having fun. It's a Saturday."

It was as if Ezra couldn't even hear me. Asher looked a little nervous as he maintained eye contact with Ezra.

"I'm the only fucking realistic one here," Asher almost sounded bitter. "Five years ago, I saw her before she found her father dead. And now, I helped her escape. Because I actually use my fucking brain."

I felt my lips part in surprise as I stared at him under the flashing lights. I couldn't even see Ezra's face since his back was turned to me, but I could feel the anger radiating off of him. 

"I'm going to fucking kill you," Ezra spat. 

His hand moved behind his back to his waistline. My eyes widened as I pieced together that he was about to shoot and kill him in a club full of people.

I leaped forward and grabbed the gun from his waistline. His head snapped toward me the second he felt it leave his side.

"Lilac, my sweet girl," he spoke gently to me, even though he kept Asher pushed against the wall. "Please give me that back, okay? I don't want you to hurt yourself."

I bit my bottom lip and shook my head, "If I give you the gun, you'll kill him."

"Yes, I will."

Asher wasn't exactly my favorite person on Earth. But I didn't think that he deserved to be murdered over helping me leave. 

"You want the gun?" I spoke in a challenging voice, making Ezra's face shift with confusion. "Then come take it."

His face ticked in amusement. 

I turned and started heading for the side exit - keeping the gun tucked underneath my shirt.

I ran to the door and pushed it open, and the first thing I noticed was the smell in the air. It smelt like it was going to rain at any second, and the clouds in the sky that blocked the stars and moon seconded that.