Chapter 9: Eight

My body was completely covered by Ezra's as the bullets continued to rain through the windows.

Glass was everywhere, and my eardrums felt like they were going to burst. The bullets were being shot in a line, from left to right, and it felt like it was never going to end.

And then, the bullets stopped.

I went to look up, but Ezra pushed my head back down. He looked up, staring at the broken windows.

"A drive by," he turned and said to Eliza. "Get the security footage. Now."

Eliza nodded before standing up. I went to stand up, too, when Ezra stopped me.

"Wait," his hands ran up from my wrists to my shoulders as his eyes looked over my body. "Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?"

"I'm fine," I told him, but my hands were still
shaking a bit from what just happened.

Once looking me over, he did a satisfied nod.

He helped me to my feet, but kept an arm wrapped around me after, holding me to his chest.

Eliza started speaking in Bulgarian, and Ezra started replying in Bulgarian.

I stood there in confusion as all four of them began speaking in Bulgarian - but I couldn't understand a thing.

It seemed as if Ezra and Eliza were arguing for a bit, until Ezra turned me around to face him.

He set his hands on my upper arms and leaned down to be my height, "Go upstairs, Lilac."

"What are you guys talking about?" I asked.

Asher said something in Bulgarian.

I didn't even know what he said, but I knew that I didn't like it.

Ezra shook his head, "Nothing that you need to worry about, sweet girl. Just head upstairs, okay?"

Normally, I didn't like to argue. But I hated not being able to understand.

"If you're going to keep me here, you can't hide everything that's going on from me," I crossed my arms.

Martín and Asher began speaking to each other in Bulgarian, once again.

Ezra tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Lilac, I never want you to stress or worry. You don't need to know about this kind of stuff," he said softly, but I let out an annoyed sigh. "Please go upstairs."

I stood there for a moment, arms crossed and lips pressed together.

If only I had the tranquilizer with me right now.

"Okay," I finally said calmly.

"Good girl. I'll be back pretty late, so just sleep. But call me if you need anything, okay?" he said a little quickly.

"Mhm," I nodded.

Ezra gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before turning around and going over to Eliza.

I turned and headed upstairs, the sound of their conversation becoming quieter and quieter.

I shut my door behind me, letting out a deep sigh.

I kicked my shoes off before sitting on the bed. I looked through my nightstands drawers, and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen.

I'll learn Bulgarian my goddamn self.

I spent the next few hours studying. Bulgarian and English are so different that even after a few hours, I still knew barely anything.

My eyelids began to feel heavy.