Chapter 20: Show Me

I have been sitting in this plane seat for the past 11 hours.

My ass is now the shape of a square, I'm sure of it.

I bothered Ezra for the entire 11 hours, constantly asking him where we were going. I was hoping to annoy him to the point where he would cave and tell me. But he didn't.

The plane's starting its descent now, for our honeymoon.

Because we are just the happiest, most loving couple. 

"You really had to be stubborn and stay up the entire fight?" Ezra crossed his arms at me. So I crossed mine right back.

"Yes. What if you were flying me to Alcatraz?"

He looked at me like I was stupid, "Yea, because I do that all the time?"

The plane touched the ground, and I literally couldn't even guess where we were. But thats because Ezra kept all the windows closed so that I couldn't guess.

Eliza, Martín, and Asher weren't allowed to come; it was only Ezra and I.

"I'm going to thank the pilot and grab our bags. You can step outside, sweetheart," Ezra spoke while standing from his chair.

He held his hand out to help me up, which I took. He walked towards the front of the plane, and I walked towards the door.

The second the door opened and I walked off, I took a deep breath of the fresh air while shutting my eyes. And once my lungs felt satisfied, I opened my eyes.

Lush trees. A clear sky. A comfortable temperature.

I had no idea where this was, but it felt like peace.

"Welcome to Bulgaria, Lilac," Ezra approached from behind me.

I quickly turned around. The wind blew his dark hair, and the sun hit his dark skin. 

"Bulgaria?" I said softly. "Is this the city where you grew up?"

"Mhm. We're in the capital, Sofia. I bought my childhood home from my parents years ago, it's only about a 30-minute drive away," he shared, and the sound of a vehicle approaching made me glance over my shoulder.

A driver stepped out of the black car, removing his hat and lowering his head at Ezra.

"And what about your parents?" I asked him.

His body went still, and I instantly realized it was a sensitive topic. He rubbed his jawline, "My parents aren't something we need to discuss."

He began walking toward the car. I jogged to catch up to him.

"Hey - I'm your wife now, you can talk to me."

Please talk to me.

It feels like there are still parts of him I don't know. Parts he won't share. 

"Fake wife," he said a little bitterly. "No more questions about my parents."

His words felt like lightning striking my skin. I paused walking, my chest hurting as he continued walking toward the car. Even though what he said was true, it made my stomach turn.

I hit a nerve. 

"Please enter, Mrs. Atlas," the driver held the door open for me, while Ezra was already in.

After sucking in a breath, I forced myself to get in the car.

The drive was silent. Ezra's demeanor seemed to shift. 

"Honeymoons are supposed to be happy," I broke the silence after a while. 

He removed his eyes from looking out the window and locked his on mine. The corners of his mouth slowly turned up.