Chapter 25: Fireworks

Waking up with Ezra felt like Heaven. He kissed me endlessly, made me coffee, and ran his hands up and down my back for hours. I could've stayed like that for my entire life if we didn't have to go back home. 

We left in the afternoon to drive back to Portland. I needed to take a shower before we went wherever we're going, and after 4 hours of driving, pulling into the driveway made me smile out of relief. I've been doing too many road trips lately. 

The sky was clear, but there were some dark clouds lingering in the sky, that looked like it could rain at any moment.

I enter the front door behind Ezra, but run into his back since he stops walking. 

He quickly turns around, "Sorry baby," he looks back in front of him. "But what the fuck are you guys doing here?"

"To hear how it went with mom. Duh," Eliza raises her eyebrows at him. 

"She's still alive," Ezra spoke as if he thought that's what they were really wondering. "And she's not the one behind this shit."

Eliza sighed, looking down at the floor for a minute. She rubbed her cheek, "How long is this game going to last? This person is just going to keep trying to kill Lilac, and we're going to look like idiots not even knowing who it freaking is."

I bite the inside of my cheek and look at Ezra. He puts his hand on my back and grabs a fistful of my top, "I have a day planned for Lilac. So you three will take a different approach to this today; offer up a 50 million dollar reward for whoever comes forward with the name of the person responsible."

My jaw dropped at how casually he mentioned 50 million dollars, and Eliza nodded, as if she thought that was a good plan.

"You think that will work?" I ask him, looking up at him. 

"It's the only thing left that I can think of. This person isn't working completely alone, we know that since they brought my dad into this shit. Somebody has to know who it is, that would rather have 50 million dollars than to hurt you, to hurt me."

His words felt comforting to me, like it could really work, and we could finally figure out who it is.

"You can go upstairs and shower. I'll prepare the car while you do," Ezra released my top and kissed the top of my head.

I nod, and begin heading up the stairs. I walk down the hallway to Ezra's room, but right before I'm about to enter, Asher calls my name from behind me.

"Hm?" I turn and tilt my head at him. I stand confidently, ready to tell him off if he says something mean. 

He walks toward me, stopping directly in front of me. 

I narrow my eyes at him.

He narrows my eyes at me.

But then, his eyes relax. 

"I'm sorry for the shit that I've said to you. I know I've apologized once, but I want to do it again. I was just mad Ezra was putting so much of his attention on you, instead of me, and all of the businesses and deals. Don't tell him I said this shit, but....he's my best friend," he lowered his voice toward the end. "Guess I was jealous."

Asher hasn't been the nicest to me. But I also haven't been the nicest to him. 

"Fresh start," I propose. 

He smiles slightly, "Deal."

He turns to walk back downstairs, and I turn to shower.

After a long and hot shower that nearly made me pass out, I changed and blowdried my hair. Wearing a white skirt and light blue shirt, I started walking downstairs.