Chapter 27: The Worst

ϟ Ezra POV ϟ

My leg bounces up and down anxiously. I'm not fucking patient, and this guy's taking his sweet fucking time. I never smoke cigarettes, but I've already gone through an entire pack while waiting. 

Eliza sits next to me on the bench, but she's not as anxious as me. She's just watching the guys that walk by, giving them rankings to me as if I gave a fuck. 

"They're not fucking coming," I say irritatedly. "They're two entire fucking hours late."

As if on cue, my phone rang at that exact moment. They better have a good fucking reason.

I picked up and spoke angrily, "You gonna show up, or are you just wasting my time?"

"You've got quite the attitude, huh?" Martín spoke to my surprise. 

My eyebrows lowered and confusion covered my face as to why he was calling me and not the guy.

"Why are you calling me, Martín? Is Lilac okay?" I asked, that being the most important thing to me. My heart felt a stabbing paint just thinking about her being hurt. 

I could hear his boots against the floor as he walked around, making an uneasy feeling form in my stomach. 

Maybe this guy went to Lilac and hurt her, and that's why he's not here. Maybe he was the one behind it. Maybe-

"You remember the day that we met?" his voice hit my ear, and I sat up on the bench, something not feeling right about this. "You told me you saw something in me. That I could do better than to work at that shitty restaurant I was working at. Yet, for all these fucking years, you've kept me below you."

I stood up off the bench now, the night breeze blowing my hair. This doesn't feel right.

I repeated, "Is Lilac okay?"

"She could've been...if you would've just, let her go," his voice felt unrecognizable. "But you couldn't. You kept yourself weak." 

My grip tightened on the phone and I gritted my teeth, "The fuck are you talking about."

I started to fear that something had happened to her.

That she was hurt.

That she needed me. 

"She's dead."

My entire body went still. My blood went to ice, and my heart stopped beating for a moment. 

"You're lying," I spat.

He laughed on the other end. An evil laugh. And even though it was just a laugh, it told me, it had been him this entire fucking time. 

Martín: Attachment: 2 Images. 

"You could've been the greatest, Atlas," he sighed as dark clouds started to fill the sky. "But this time, I win. I fooled everybody. Even you, who's supposed to be the smartest and most ruthless man in America!"

"I played you like a goddamn piano," he adds. "And you can take that to your grave. Because Lilac took it to hers."

He ended the call, as I just stared at the notification for a few seconds. I couldn't bring myself to look at it, a knife felt like it was in my fucking chest. I didn't want to believe him. 

I can't click on them. 

Fuck, do it for Lilac. She needs you. 

I click on them. And the second I do, the second my eyes meet the two images, I'm not the same. My face goes blank. My heart doesn't have a beat anymore. The first image was a picture of her, dead. Stab wound on her stomach. And the second, was Martín holding her fucking wedding ring.