Chapter 16: 33 Days

ϟ Ezra POV ϟ

I feel like I'm losing my fucking mind. 

And Martín chewing a corndog loud as fuck definitely isn't helping. 

It's been 33 days of searching. 33 days of driving to a new state, spending the day searching it, then moving to the next.

Washington. California. Nevada. Idaho. Montana. Wyoming. Utah. Arizona. New Mexico. Colorado. Texas. Oklahoma. Kansas. Nebraska. North Dakota. South Dakota. Minnesota. Iowa. Missouri. Arkansas. Louisiana. Wisconsin. Illinois. Tennessee. Mississippi. Michigan. Indiana. Kentucky. Alabama. Florida. Georgia. Ohio. Pennsylvania.

And today, New York. 

And once again, nothing. The sky's pitch black now as we sit in the booth at a fast food restaurant before starting the drive to New Jersey. 

I miss Lilac so fucking much. It feels like my heart is literally getting stabbed every waking moment. All I want is to see her, just for a second. 

"Will you shut the fuck up," I spat at Martín before reaching across the table, grabbing his corndog and throwing it onto the floor.

God, was I fucking irritable. 

Martín looked at the empty stick in his hand, then slowly glanced at the half-eaten corndog on the floor. He pursed his lips, "Think I'd die if I ate it off the floor?"

"Oh Jesus fucking Christ," I muttered under my breath, rubbing my temples. 

Eliza sighed and pressed the palms of her hands against the table while standing up, "Let's go. We'll get there before sunrise if we leave now."

I didn't wait for even a second before standing up. 

I fucking miss her. 

I reached the car before the rest of them. They all got in once they reached the car, Eliza sitting in the passenger seat and hitting Asher when he tried to. 

We were back on the highway in just a few minutes. I knew I'd probably come back home to thousands of dollars in speeding tickets - but I didn't give a shit. As long as I come home with her.

I can tell me tapping my fingers anxiously was bothering Eliza. But I couldn't stop.

What if this is all for nothing. What if she's already dead.

"Ezra!" Eliza screamed, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I hadn't even noticed I was driving at 200 mph. I released my foot a little, going back to 120. 

She sighed before running her hands through her hair. She spoke in a kind and happy voice, "We just need a good song to cheer us up!"

"Eliza, if you play Taylor Swift one more time I'll push you out-"

She cut me off, "No more Taylor Swift. I'll play something better."

I sighed while waiting for the song to start playing. 

The song began, and Eliza started singing it, "Yeah, breakfast at Tiffany's and bottles of bubbles.."

"No fucking way," I muttered before turning the radio off.

Eliza smacked her hand down onto her thigh and complained, "Ezra! Come on! Not everybody just wants to sit here and think about death like you do."

"I'm not thinking about death."

"Yea? What are you thinking about then?"

Crashing my car to end this nightmare of a road trip.