Chapter 22: Pacific Ocean

The fact that they are letting me see their faces scare me to my core.

I know people usually only do that because they're planning on killing you.

The driver walks me to the boat, holding my upper arm so tightly it would definitely leave a bruise. The harsh lights on the boat are the only form of light, and the waves from the pacific ocean rocked it. 

The boat was huge and painted red, and it was clear that it was meant for industrialized fishing. 

The salty air burned my nose as my hair blew around from the wind.

He pulled me onto the boat, our footsteps becoming rocky from the waves. As we walked, I studied the faces of every person we passed.

And more or less, they all looked the same. Black outfits. Guns in their waistline. Tattoos on their body.

"That husband of yours has racked up quite a few enemies, hm?" The driver spoke as if he were amused.

I wonder if he'd still be amused if I kicked him in the fucking balls.

Which, I would. If he didn't have a goddamn gun pressed against my back. 

"So, that's how you play? Kill the woman he loves? Pretty dirty if you ask me," the words sounded bitter coming out of my mouth.

The man forced a smile and laugh before throwing me onto the cold and hard ground. I nearly broke my hip from it, and taking the time to process if my bone was broken distracted me from the fact that he handcuffed my left hand to a metal pole on the wall.

My hair stuck to my face as the boat rocked. I looked up at him, "If you're going to kill me, just do it. No need for theatrics."

"Just keep your mouth shut," he spat.

A younger man came into view from my left. He spoke to the driver, "Good job. We're lucky they sent us her location at that exact moment."

"Let's just get the money from Ezra," the driver replied before turning his eyes to look at me. "And then, we'll kill her."

"Are you sure you want to go through with this? I know we have orders from-"

The driver cut him off, "I'm fucking positive. That boy deserves nothing."

My head tilted and my body stilled for a moment. That boy. 

"You're Ezra's dad, aren't you?" I nearly whispered.

His mouth turned up in amusement as he looked at me. Staring at him, I began to notice some similarities. Same black hair, brown eyes, and dark skin. He had the same jaw shape, but the look behind his eyes was completely different. 

"Like I said. Keep your mouth shut," he repeated.

He and the younger man started to walk away. The lights on the boat didn't light up all of it, so once they were out of the light, I couldn't see them anymore.

Ezra will find me.

I tug on the pole, but the handcuff didn't come loose. I mutter under my breath, "Shit."

My body jerked as the boat went 'ding' and started to move forward into the waves. Panic started to rise in my throat, wondering how the hell Ezra could possibly find me in the middle of the fucking ocean.

The large boat turned, and the sound of waves crashing is the only thing I could hear. As we started moving further and further into the water, something bright caught the corner of my eye.

They set the car his dad had taken me in on fire.

It didn't take long for my wrist to start to hurt. My knees, too, since the floor was made out of metal. No matter how many times I tried to free my wrist, it didn't work.